Just seen Vince. Car now slower, faster and safer

Hooley

A2OC Donor
Before I start, this is yet another thanks and recommendation to see Vince at Stealth.

My car had been mapped, which was not known before I bought it other than it felt a lot faster than all the other TDi's I tested. I did have a few problems where the car would go in to limp mode if I ventured beyond 3000rpm in 4th or 5th. This did cause a bit of an issue. With the VAGCOM showing as a positive deviation of boost pressure, and recalcitrant MAF (open circuit) despite being new.

Now Dan has driven my car and commented how strong the boost was from 2k rpm, and even felt stronger than his.....more of that later

So I wandered over to Vince this morning and he put the car back to stock. When I went out for a spin it seemed a bit flat, and once again went in to limp when provoked.

Vince had the car up on the ramp, turned the MAF around so it faced the correct way, and after about half an hour came back in and asked if some egit had moved all of the boost control pipes. It wasn't me. honest.

So n75 boost control pipes rearranged and MAF correctly located and an hour after I arrived I had a fully functional, bog-standard car. Hmmm. Not much fun either

Vince then uploaded his toptastic map and 5 minutes later took the car out for a 'shakedown'

Double hmmm

Now my car had a lot less torque at 2k revs, so felt there was less push and therefore felt a little slower, but I could now rev past 3k. So I found a nearby airfield/autobahn and extended the car a little. It now had the ability to go beyond 82mph, which is where the limp mode would have bern triggered. I now could go higher in the revs and much higher in speed. It felt a little odd briefly taking the car above 80/90/100. So the car is now much faster.

The lack of torque lower down was a little disappointing from what I've been used to, but in discussions with Vince we talked about safe boost limits and why I was constantly in limp mode. The car was previously extending the turbo well beyond safe limits and overboosting, which felt great, but who knows how long the tiny little turbo would last....now with the boost controllers working the turbo is under control and working within safer limits

So I now have a car that is slightly less sprightly in the 1800rpm to 2300rpm than I had before, but will rev happily past 3000 rpm and well beyond safely. I now should not expect the turbo to go pop when I rev it, which it could have done. Oh!

Being able to rev the car feels odd as I've been used to keeping the car below 3k and achieving an average of 58.9mpg. I now think I need to expect a lower mpg now I can extend the car and also am thinking about upgrading a few things....
Brakes, seats, suspension....

Sorry for the long post, but I've done 9000 miles in the car in the last 4 1/2 months and now feel quite relieved to be able to go for the overtake without expecting the car to 'die' due to boost issues
Hope it may help someone in the future is they also have similar symptoms

Jason

Posted from my iPlop...

HTML:
That's great news Jason :) Vince knows the A2 inside out. And as you said better to have a remap that let's you drive safely. Not one that's going to cut out when you are overtaking:eek:

Cheers

David

Hi Jason,
This explains a lot!
My car was behaving like this when the N75 control lines got dislodged after my cambelt change although I can't understand why the MAF was in backwards?
Do you think your control lines were deliberately disconnected? Might be worth checking to see if the wastegate spring is at the correct tension?

Back