Keeping cool - an expansion tank query

NickM5

Hi all.

Apologies if this one has been asked before:

Does anyone know if A2 expansion tanks are generic across the range or does each model have its own tank? Reason I ask is that I need a new one for my FSI. The tank is not sealing properly and has already suffered with the breakdown of the internal structure. A new cap was fitted which did improve things to a large degree, but it still has a small coolant leak coming from the tank.

Apparently the code for the FSI coolant tank is 8Z0121407C but I’ve noticed on eBay there are also tanks with the code 8Z0121407A. The ‘C’ coded ones are nearly double the price so my question is - will the ‘A’ code fit an FSI?

Looking at the pictures they do appear to be the same, but I’ve no idea if there is any difference in internal structure or pipe diameter between the models.

Unless I could get it from a trusted source I’d prefer a new one to a used as there’s no guarantee that a used one would be any better than the one I already have - they’re all 20 odd years old now!

Any help or guidance is much appreciated 😊

Last edited:
Good Evening,

Not all tanks are 20 years old with many already replaced. This one on ebay stuck out a mile.

I am fairly sure all A2 model tanks are the same (excluding 1.2) and the part number quoted is correct.

Welcome by the way.

Andy

I swapped an expansion tank from a TDI90 to an FSI and it works fine, the TDI runs cooler so hasn’t damaged the tank as much as an FSI does, all the hoses line up as they should. Been working fine for months now.
Hope this helps.

Hi all.

Apologies if this one has been asked before:

Apparently the code for the FSI coolant tank is 870121407C but I’ve noticed on eBay there are also tanks with the code 870121407A. The ‘C’ coded ones are nearly ..
The other posts appear to have answered your question ; just for clarity for future readers the part codes you are referring to should begin with 8Z0 (indicating A2) rather than 870. Best of luck!

Or if you can wait a week or so for delivery, Autodoc with German parts are always worth a look. See link

🙏
Or if you can wait a week or so for delivery, Autodoc with German parts are always worth a look. See link

🙏
Thanks! Looks like they’re out of stock on the tanks, but that’s a very useful website - that one is being added to my bookmarks 😊

Thanks! Looks like they’re out of stock on the tanks, but that’s a very useful website - that one is being added to my bookmarks 😊
Dont think that one has smaller pipe on correct side - more for A1 and A3 cars?

It’s virtually the same tank as on a Fabia, the connections are in slightly different positions but it can be made to fit.

George

I bought a used one from @A2Steve which came out of a diesel A2 I believe. It’s completely different internally - a lot more baffles vs almost no baffles on the FSI - but seems to be doing the job.

Back