Key Fob

I

imology

Hi me again I just love this site

My key fobs for the audi I just bought are pretty grubby and scuffed and wondered how easy it is to buy one of ebay and reprogramme for alarm, immobiliser etc.. for my car (think you can get the blade cut at a normal key cutters ?)

The alternative is how easy is it to just replace the outer casing on one omy key fobs with one bought off ebay i.e. keep the insides and blade the same just change the case ?

Audi gave me a pretty high quote for a new fob

cheers again guys

I got one of mine changed under warranty about 8 months ago. Within about 2 months, it looked as grubby as the 3 year old one. I wouldn't recommend changing it but take comfort in the fact that once they become a bit tatty, they stay at that level.

Hi imology
Cutting the blade is no problem but having the key coded to match your car can only be done by an Audi dealer - see link for more info. Some are very helpful, some won't touch a second hand key and some charge a fortune for the job. I don't recall anyone doing it but it may be possible to transfer the internals of one key to another if they are not encapsulated in resin. If it can be done the key would need to be re matched but this is a simple process and often required after changing the battery.
http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5000&highlight=coding+keys

Cheers Spike

I wonder if anyone here is using the new style key. It's the slightly more triangular in shape version. :confused:

Back