knock from the front right of the car

Bazzjohn

i had a knock on the front right of my A2. It now sounds like a mounting or something is loose. I have had a look but cannot see anything loose.Does anyone have any ideas what this could be?

It could be quite literally anything and really, your explanation is not enough to give a diagnosis. Take it to a decent garage for a proper check-up before something happens or the situation worsens.

Cheers,

Mike

i had a look at the front of my car and found that one coil of the spring had broken off. This is on an A2 FSI Sport. Thanks for the reply.

Took the car in to get the both front springs replaced. The dealers did a 50% goodwill on the coil spring that was broken and labour. So it does not hurt to make a 'stink' on the parts that should just not brake and thanks to someone that left a thread saying that his dealers did some similar work at a reduced rate. So it does not hurt to ask!

got mine booked in for this tomorrow - had a knocking from the Front - MK have assured me nowt wrong, so am off to Bedford to see what they find. ONly happens on road humps / speed ramps or when applying the brake if reversing into a parking space. Not arb tho as that has been done.

I too have a clunking noise from the front (passenger side)... I've ruled out roll bar as I've already had that replaced, and mine also only does in on speed bumps and bumpy roads.

On quick inspection the spring looks OK... I'm thinking it sounds a bit too big a sound to be strut top bearings etc... anyone any thoughts?

bba

The noise that i had from the front sounded like it was half in the car behind the dash and half outside. It was quite a loud noise everytime i went over bumps. The spring broke off about three inches from the end, so it was not noticeable at first glance.

Cheers fella's

I've had the local garage have a quick look, they are thinking it's could be roll bar bush but possibly drop links??

It's book in tomorrow, as I'm quite dependent on the motor...

Will let you all know what's what & costs tomorrow.

bba

well folks, just got the motor back from the garage, they've diagnosed a broken coil spring (not roll bar etc)... is going back on Friday to have the bit fitted.

bba

I got my dealership to repair my broken spring under 'good will' as a spring should not just break. Thet charged about £100 for the broken one and £150 for the other.Just abit of info. Try and ask your dealership to do the same.

hmm, I think fair being fair, 142,000 miles and 5 and half years of motoring on same springs is acceptable... the roads near me are terrible quite honestly... I'm surprised they have lasted this long... I've been quoted £60 to fit...

bba

just thought I'd follow this up, maybe helpful to others...

It was a passenger side coil spring, total cost (non audi dealer) £75 for spring, VAT and fitting.

bba

Back