Komfortblinker - fitting problem

alanm

A2OC Donor
Help needed!

My car has got the Symphony stereo unit with the 6 cd changer built in so the climate control panel is where the 'cubby hole' would be.

Logic would suggest that the indicator relay would be located behind the climate control panel on my car - but it isn't!

I removed the complete ashtray and could just make out what looks like the indicator relay mounted horizontally behind a plastic bulkhead - I've confirmed it is the indicator relay as that's where the clicking sound comes from when the turn indicator lights are flashing. The wiring plug for the relay is on the RHS (the UK driver's side) but there is no room to remove it as it right next to the dashboard frame. I've tried getting at it but no success.

Rather than risking damaging anything, can anyone advise me how to extract the indicator relay so I can fit the Komfortblinker?

Many thanks - Alan

You need to squeeze the metal clips in at the side and slide the relay across to give yourself the necessary room to do the mod (or change the relay at all!).

It is tight, but if you've got the Symphony, you automatically have a head start over those with a single DIN system, as you can see what you're doing!

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks, once again, for the advice Mike.

Problem is that, even with the Symphony and the climate control panel removed, I can't see the relay. Reason is that immediately beneath where the climate slides in is a plastic floor that seems part of the dashboard assembly and which is above where the relay is located. This prevents sight of and access to the relay from above and it can only be seen when the ashtray assembly is removed.

Re. the metal clips - where exactly are these? I can't see them when looking thru' the ashtray compartment.

As I'm wary of screwing things up by boldly going where I've never been before DIY-wise, would sorting my Komfortblinker be a suitable case for commercial treatment by the 'Skipton01 A2 Centre'?

Last edited:
The metal clips are on the top and bottom edges of the unit - the thin sides if you like.

If you want to pop up to Skipton Autos one weekend you're more than welcome, but it is a self-fittable job and I wouldn't want to raid your wallet, like some other places do!

Cheers,

Mike

See Alan if you wasn't going to wales with the wife you could have come along and Mike could have pointed it out for you, this weekend as i'm popping there this sunday

Cheers Phil

Phil

C'est la vie!

If, as I suspect, I can't resolve it myself I hope I'll be able to get it sorted at the Skipton01 A2 Centre sometime soon.

Otherwise, there will be an unused Komfortblinker up for sale!

The metal clips are on the top and bottom edges of the unit - the thin sides if you like.

Easier said than done.

Do you have any tips on what to use Mike? I have tried screwdrivers with no luck - I can't get the leverage to push the clips in as there is no room.

I have also just tried to remove the connector without taking the relay out all together - grazed skin and very sore fingers later and the connector won't budge either - again because there is just no room to get a grip.

Any help appreciated.

Darren

Reassuring to know it's not just me who is stumped by this one. I'm wondering if how the relay is located on cars with the double DIN stereo system is more awkward than for those with the 'cubby hole' above the ashtray unit.

From earlier posts it seems that on the double DIN setup the relay is located lower down and is behind and level with the ash tray unit. Result is that the only way to see it and to get at it is via the ashtray aperture. Thus, you have b****r-all room to get it disconnected and removed. Do the two bolt/screws at the back of the ashtray aperture have any part in this, or are they there just to secure the lower part of the dash unit?

Might the only way to get at the thing be to remove the plastic panel that is below the dash and which extends around the base of the gear lever? If so, what others (eg Grim Reeper) have found to be a 15 minute job will be more like a few hours for the double DIN guys.

Anybody out there with the double DIN setup who has replaced/removed the indicator relay? If yes, your advice would be much appreciated!

:confused:, stumped, and well frustrated!!

Reassuring to know it's not just me who is stumped by this one.
:confused:, stumped, and well frustrated!!

Ditto Alan.

I have the single DIN and cubby hole though, but my 15 minute job has taken about 30 so far, blood and blue air.

The frustrating thing is that it would be more like a 2 minute job if you could just access and remove everything easily.

:(

Darren

WOW what have i started, well i just popped the cubby out reached in got hild of the relay and it came forward no problems, the relay is a bit tight though you need to give it a good pull, still removing the side trim shouldn't take that much longer and may give you the extra room

Cheers Phil

WOW what have i started, well i just popped the cubby out reached in got hild of the relay and it came forward no problems, the relay is a bit tight though you need to give it a good pull, still removing the side trim shouldn't take that much longer and may give you the extra room

Cheers Phil

Well success of sorts. The relay was firmly held in place and the clips wouldn't release the relay no matter how hard I tried. In the end the plastic supports that hold the relay in place gave way, (I.e. Broke), and I was able to pull the relay forward with ease; much like you describe Phil. The plug and play was as easy as I thought it would be and the unit functions a treat.

Either you where really lucky Phil, your mount was already partially broken or your clips where much more user friendly than mine.

Pleased as punch with the result - thanks for taking the lead Phil.

Cheers,

Darren

Darren - glad to hear you got it sorted!

So far, all those who have reported on the Komfortblinker fitting seem to have been those whose cars have the single DIN stereo with the 'cubby hole' underneath.

Before I make my final attempt, it would be great to hear from anyone with a double DIN stereo setup (e.g. Symphony 2) who has replaced the indicator relay and/or fitted a Komfortblinker.

"Is there anybody out there?............"

Sorry not to have replied to this thread today - been out shooting arrows all day!

Glad it's sorted Darren, just hope you don't get rattles from the relay now that it's not anchored properly.

Cheers,

Mike

Don't think there will be any problems with rattles as there is more cable and another relay to get everything trapped to stop any rattles.

Alan if you are still struggling do give me a bell as i will more than happy to give you a hand if its only another pair of hands and someone else taking a look, so hopefully we can get you sorted

Cheers Phil

Thanks Alan and Mike - pleased the kit is fitted, shame that the innards have been damaged, but no damage outwardly/cosmetically thankfully as everything looks as it should.

Hope that you get your double DIN fitment sorted really soon Alan; it is a great bit of kit and well worth the outlay, grazed skin and battle to overcome access to the relay itself. Living in roundabout city as I do, I have already found it a very useful addition when going straight on and the other natural benefit is obviously overtaking and returning to the inside lane.

As for the rattle, as Phil suggests, there is enough additional cabling courtesy of the additional relay to prevent this being an issue. The original relay whilst not being effectively secured down is wedged in by the cubby hole tighter than a London Commuter on a rush hour tube train...:)

Regards,

Darren

Thats the thing as i have driven a lot of new cars they all have this fitted and you do get use to it and sometimes you don't want the indicator on all the way through or just hold it on for a few flashes, this just lets you give it a flick and forget about it

Phil

Is this the next big thing after the coveted 'Skipton Cruise' I havent ordered mine yet, but I will do as I really liked this feature on my other Audi.

Phil has started something methinks - we'll need to give this mod a name to associate it with the Grimster!! . Any ideas?? :D

Last edited:
Back