Leak from fuel filter drain

Dev

A2OC Donor
Hi All,

my 2001 1.4 TDi has been in for a variable service and MOT, and a fuel leak has been found. The drainage cap on the end of the fuel filter has snapped off, leaving a stub of the plastic thread inside and allowing fuel to dribble out. The filter was well covered by the cladding on the underside of the vehicle, and the drain has not been used since it was fitted (this is the first time it's been serviced since then), so I have to assume it was a defective part or maybe the cap got bumped when it was fitted.

I had a quick search on the forums and couldn't find a problem like this being reported before, so I thought I'd alert you to the risk. I should add it was a Hengst filter rather than the original Audi part, but I was assured that they are top quality suppliers. Regardless, it's now being replaced by an Audi one.

Cheers,

Dev

There isn't that much protection for the filter itself - other than the recess where it's housed. The heat shield is very flimsy. Could even be result of a severe frost - then heat from the exhaust? We had -13 this year. Ideally the filter should have been designed to be placed in the engine bay somewhere - although it's as tight as a gnat's chaff.:D

Hi Spartacus,

The coldest I had down here was about -5 C on the way to work through the New Forest. A2s must be working all over northern Europe without losing their filter caps, so they should be able to cope with that easily. I wonder what's the coldest temperature an A2 has been used or stored in? Maybe it's time for another thread.

Dev

Driven in -30 degrees celsius so far. The engine sound is completely different at those temperatures. It's hard to describe but it's noisier and every sound seems to be amplified. It sounds like the engine does not like it at all.

Back