Leaving behind a cloud of smoke...

MPG Lover

Once in a blue moon I can turn into a boy racer and leave other cars behind by putting my foot down in second or third. When I look in the mirror to see the Porsche Cayenne (for example ;) ) rapidly disappearing in my rear view mirror, I have also left them in cloud of exhaust smoke...

Is this my A2 burning oil? I know other A2's tend to get through a bit of oil but my oil level has stayed the same for over 5,000 miles now. I have got a service coming up - is there anything I should be asking them to look for? Or is it because I rarely put my foot down and this is the equivalent of my A2 clearing its throat? (If so should I rev the engine before a MoT emissions test?) Or do I just need to put my diesel head on? :)

For information, I tend to alternate between Tesco diesel or BP Ultimate diesel (Clubcard or Nectar).

Grateful for any tips.

Yes all diesels will chuck out smoke when you welly them, if you spend a lot of time running round on gentle throttle loads particulates (soot) accumulate in the exhaust sytem, and, as you say clears the throat when you boot it, my A4 is very sick at the moment, can do a really good impression of a WWII destroyer making smoke and that's round town, new turbo needed seals gone ouch! getting embarrassing, when going for it's MOT I used to spend a few miles giving it some welly in a lower gear just to clear the tubes so to speak, it's the acceleration of gasses that shift it, not the velocity so running at 120mph will clear some but not as much as hard acceleration, afterall it's then that you see other diesels clearing out the stuff.
Not called soot chuckers for nothing you know!!

Back