Like button

Birchall

Dick Chown Award 2016
OK, so some people don't like the "Like" button on posts, if you don't like it no need to read on.

If you use the "Like" button at all, try the following

(This is not to be taken seriously, just a bit of fun)

Look at the number of "likes" on your profile (select "My Profile" from the top right of the page and then click on the "About me" tab.)

I have a theory and that is that coincidentally you may find that the number of likes you have received often seem to be more or less the number of likes you have given out.

I think that the closer these two are together the better perhaps?

If you have liked far more posts than you have been liked, then this indicates that you are probably very generous, so pat yourself on the back
If you have been liked far more than you have liked others, then you are very popular, so pat yourself on the back.
If they are equal then you are well balanced, so pat yourself on the back.

This is all tongue in cheek, it probably doesn't mean much at all.

Steve B

Hi Steve,

without wishing to swerve the thread, what does the adjacent star button do ("Add to the user's reputation") and how does the impact of clicking it show up? I'm wondering if sometimes clicking Reputation might be more appropriate than Like.

That swere is relevant, so no problem.

It is used to award reputation points, especially useful when someone has contributed something that is worth more than just a like.

(there is also the option to post negative reputation points, but I don't like negative posting)

The points someone has earned are not very visible and there is no real use for the points, but it is at least giving people the option to appreciate some significant help.

The reputations you have earned show on the "Reputation" tab in the "My profile" page.

Steve B

Many thanks Steve. I shall look for suitable opportunities to click Reputation. Could be, for example,

- when someone writes-up a How To, especially if complete with photos
- solves a long standing common technical issue
- does something to enhance the reputation of A2OC
- goes out of their way to help another member

but must also find occasions to recognise those people who consistently add value in small ways.

My 2p of ideas.

... so on this thread, and many others, I don't see the "Like" button: I see, from the left, the 'Add to reutation' six-pointed star, then the 'Report post' warning triangle.

Is this to do with my settings; thread settings; age of the thread;... ?

... so on this thread, and many others, I don't see the "Like" button: I see, from the left, the 'Add to reutation' six-pointed star, then the 'Report post' warning triangle.

Is this to do with my settings; thread settings; age of the thread;... ?

Have you been able to post any likes at all?

If not then go to your profile and edit your settings, there is an option to switch the like function on or off.

But if it is occasionally not available, I notice a couple of threads recently where I couldn't add a "like"

Could it be because that user has "like" switched off?

Steve B

Have you been able to post any likes at all?

If not then go to your profile and edit your settings, there is an option to switch the like function on or off.

But if it is occasionally not available, I notice a couple of threads recently where I couldn't add a "like"

Could it be because that user has "like" switched off?

Steve B
Yes Steve, in my profile the 'Like' is enabled, and I have used it e.g. http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthrea...offside)-door-rubber-seal&p=249707#post249707
In that thread I have liked CatNip64's post, but now I don't see the 'Like' button on any of the posts. Ah well ...

I did Hilary; but on some threads the 'Like' isn't there.
In this thread, I can 'Like' recent posts, i.e. since my post earler today; but I do not see the 'Like' button for any of the earlier posts.

Of course, I did offer IT tech assistance a couple of times, but never heard anything more. It has been what I've done for the past 29 years...:D

Last edited:
Back