Long Life Service Intervals

spw

Hi

I have a question regarding typical service intervals for cars on variable service cycle.

I have a petrol 1.4 which i had serviced (VSI) July last year at an Audi stealer with the car registering 21K miles. The Service indicator has just come on, indicating that service is due in 500mls. The cars registering only 26K miles, 5K from the last service, so this seems a little sooner than I would have expected on a VSI. What are other people experiences?

The car does a mix of trips, 4-6 short 3 mile trips a week, then a slghtly longer couple of 30 mile trips every other w/e.

Is there any easy way of telling if the service indicator has been set to VSI?
It seems a bit coincidental that its nearly 12 months since the last service.

Spike is quite correct - if you'd taken a look at the service indicator a month or so after the service, fixed or VSI would have been obvious.

It is possible to determine via diagnostics, but I suspect you have been set to fixed, which is no bad thing considering your driving patterns.

However, if you've been charged for a variable service, that's a different matter.

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks, i'll move it off the VS.

Audi charged me for VS and the book is marked up as so.
I got the car car 2 years ago it was on a VS, so I just continued with it assuming that was normal.

In reality though, its had a service each year, just with long life oil.

Another service interval question

My TDI is on long life service intervals. I've only had the car for four months and long life service itervals probably suited the previous owner because she had a 40 mile commute to work each day. Since I only travel 8 miles to my work and do a much lower mileage generally, would I be best to switch to a fixed servicing routine? Also, is the type of oil used the only difference between fixed and variable types of services?

Hi Graham,

I have been surprised at the variable service indicator numbers from my TDi. I commute 16 miles a day in my A2 and the service indicator started out (after last service in Feb '08) at 9600 miles. In the mean time I have also done a couple of longer motorway runs (3 x 400 miles trips) and the indicator now reads 15500!!! So the total miles between services is set to work out at ~18000, or probably 2 years, at that will come first. I have no idea what maths the car is doing, but it is very strange! A couple of long runs seem to make a massive difference :confused:
Obviously there is an MOT inbetween, and at that point I intend to have the oil and filter changed anyway. At this point I will continue to use the higher spec long life oil, as the cost difference isn't worth the hassle.

Cheers,

David

My TDi 75 is on variable service.

I've just it serviced at 41,266 on 05.06.06. The previous was 23,319 (it's first) was on 06.06.06 and it was new at 11.06.04. So it appears that the formula also has time and when the 2 years is up (almost to the day) it time for another service.

For the last year I've been doing a very short commute (should walk really) but other wise do a 150 round trip once a week. Before that I was typically doing 70 mile or 150 mile cross country / trunk / motorway round trips.

Just looked at the service book re VSI and it states: "but always inside a period of 24 months"

Last edited:
My car was serviced at 26k miles, its now done 28k miles and is showing only 4k until next service! :eek:

According to the service book, it is a variable Service - done by main dealer!

Maybe they forgot to reset the service indicator as it was done after 2 years (in which is only did 9k miles)

Any ideas?

My car was serviced at 26k miles, its now done 28k miles and is showing only 4k until next service! :eek:

According to the service book, it is a variable Service - done by main dealer!

Maybe they forgot to reset the service indicator as it was done after 2 years (in which is only did 9k miles)

Any ideas?

If they forgot to reset the service indictor the 'service due' warning would have been flashing all the time. If set to fixed servicing then it would have been counting down from 10,000miles. The only explaination is that the type of driving your currently doing (short,slow speed, stop-start journeys?) is dramatically reducing the service interval. Maybe you should revert to the 12months / 10,000 mile fixed service routine next time.

Cheers Spike

Hi all,

I haven't actually got my A2 yet, will pick up in a couple of weeks from a main Audi dealer. :D

I am wondering about the servicing - The car was registered in Mar 04 but didn't have it's first service until Jun 07 whereby it had done just under 15,000. The audi dealer has done another service recently with just over 19,000 on the clock. Will this 1st long spout on the servicing be a problem? :confused:

The car is a A2 1.6 FSI SE.

Thanks everyone. :p

Back