Long Life Service?

wizard

Guys
Please can you tell me about the different services..

I have been told about the Long Life Service which i have no idea about, as i use to just service my car every year.

Could someone shed some light

In essence, a better quality oil is used which permits longer servicing periods, but it is combined with oil quality monitoring by the engine management system, so it will tell you how many miles until the next service. Because it's monitoring the engine oil quality, it is able to adjust the service mileage interval based on your driving style. If you do lots of long motorway miles, the service interval will be longer. If you do lots of short, cold-engine urban journeys, the service interval will shorten itself because this type of driving stresses the engine more.

My car is on the long life service, it's up to 90,000 miles now and the engine internals are in very good condition (had to take the cam cover off recently to fix something so was able to have a look).

Some people also do a fixed interval service but use the Long Life service oil! The Audi Long Life Service oil is very good quality indeed.

I've just posted a similar question under someone else's oil query, but after reading these posts wondered.

If you do lots of shorts journeys, I do and only rack up 6K a year, could the service interval on longlife actually be shorter than on an annual fixed service?

Also wondered, as I mentioned in the other post, what is the difference in cost of oil, fixed Vs Longlife. I think I paid about £14 a litre for a top up bottle a few month back.

If you do lots of shorts journeys, I do and only rack up 6K a year, could the service interval on longlife actually be shorter than on an annual fixed service?

No, Longlife has a minimum mileage of 9k miles and max time of 2 years for the TDi. Those in the know recommend annual oil changes even if you use Longlife-spec oil. Annual changes are recommended if you do mainly short journeys.

Last edited:
No, Longlife has a minimum mileage of 9k miles and max time of 2 years for the TDi. Those in the know recommend annual oil changes even if you use Longlife-spec oil. Annual changes are recommended if you do mainly short journeys.

So actually, Yes! Longlife can actually have a shorter life than the standard annual service.

Standard annual service, 12 months or 12k miles.

Longlife, can be as low as 9k miles!

Just to share some information:

When I was a student I worked in a Tribology lab. over 2 summer. Interesting, but messy job. Anyway, we had the contract to monitor the oil quality of a local bus fleet. Every 2 weeks a sample of oil was removed and given to us. Each sample was put through a spectrometer and viscometer at least. Depending on the results a further test for flash-point was also done.

Despite great advances in the almost 20 years since I did that job I suspect that is still the only way to truly monitor oil quality.

The great advantage being, the oil was only changed when truly needed and based on its actually quality and not a generic formula.

Is there anyway to be able to do those same tests for a consumer? That would be very handy to do every 6 months or so before doing the actual oil change.

That's VAG internet forum misnomer no.1!

There is no sensor that monitors the oil quality, the system works by number of cold starts/ long journies/ short journies/ normal temp running etc.

That is interesting. I was told by a audi service agent that the car monitored the condion of the oil.

Its a good job we have the real experts on here. And not in the audi garages:D

David

I may have to start baking some humble pie, as I've been reading on a Mercedes forum that some Mercedes so have oil quality sensors, optical or capacitive. So it makes me wonder about the A2 now.

Does anyone have a workshop catalogue that can be checked?

Surely there must be someone at Audi that we can get a correct answer from. Mike & other owners do you know anyone we could ask about how the A2 works out the AVS mileage???

There was a (heated) debate about oil condition sensors in this thread - http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10581&highlight=oil+sensor
Audi do fit oil condition sensors on later cars and I'd guess it started on new models introduced after 2003.
My 2001 TDi was on longlife service intervals when I bought it but I used to change the oil and filter myself after 12 months. The service indicator was not reset and with fresh longlife oil in the sump - guess what, the mileage indicator continued to count down as normal.
Even if the A2 has an oil condition sensor I firmly believe its important on older cars (A2's are all at least 5 years old now) to change the oil on a yearly basis or 10k, which ever comes first.

Cheers Spike

Last edited:
Thanks for the link Spike, interesting reading.

Taken from a Mercedes forum it's been said that the key parameter controlling service intervals are:

Time (from vehicle's clock in cluster)
Speed (from ABS/4ETS control system module via CAN)
Coolant temperature
Load signal
Engine rpm (from engine control module via CAN)
Engine oil temperature
Engine oil correction factor
Engine oil level (from analog oil level sensor via engine control module and CAN)

How this translates to an Audi A2 is debatable, but interesting none the less to me :)

Back