Looking into buying.

citroen sm

Hi everyone. I know that there is lots and lots of info around this site, (cos I've just spent the last 2 hrs looking!)

I've already eliminated the petrol models and I'm only really looking at the 1.4 TDi, 75s.

Trouble with these cars is that there aren't too many around for sale, making it difficult, (impossible?) to go and check a few out. So unless I get very lucky it will be a hike to just go and look at one.

Anyway, is it a case of "latest is best" or does it boil down to the individual car? I have seen an 01 car with recent cam belt/water pump/aux belt bills, plus a few other bits, at just under 100K miles. It might have been nice to have seen the oil drive chain renewed also but no record of that.

I'm looking for a car that will do 60mpg at 60-65mph. I'm no boy racer but will be looking to do a round trip from Durham to Pompey, (640 miles) every 2-3 weeks, with not much in between.

Also, with the rear seat removed is it possible to get a full sized push bike in with the front wheel removed?

Even the newest cars are now what, 13 years old? Am I expecting too much?

Cheers, LG.

Hi LG and welcome on your first post. You are not expecting too much but may have to be patient in finding the right car for you. I would think a pushbike would sit easily in the back of an A2...beds, wardrobes and other large items have been moved in the past. There are a few posts highlighting what to look for when buying an A2 and I hope you find them useful...Cheers, Dave :)

I got my hybrid bike in the back of my sons A2 without removing the seats or the front bike wheel. I simply lowered the rear seats and in it went.

...Anyway, is it a case of "latest is best" or does it boil down to the individual car? I have seen an 01 car with recent cam belt/water pump/aux belt bills, plus a few other bits, at just under 100K miles. It might have been nice to have seen the oil drive chain renewed also but no record of that...

I can’t comment on the diesel specifically as I haven’t owned one, but what I can say is that all these cars are old enough that it’s how they’ve been looked after that determines condition, not age, so buy on condition. Mine is one of the earliest ones, but is in far better condition than many I looked at - it’s not had a huge number of keepers, and it does have a reasonable service history. An earlier one we had was newer, and had far higher mileage, but also a good service history so still in pretty good shape. Well, until it was written off by my partner ;)

The 1.4 tdi75 is definitely the sweetspot. After late 2003 you get the 42l fuel tank instead of 34l - worth considering for your longer distance travel. Secondly, Paul (Depronman) does a longer 5th gear replacement that knocks a few hundred rpm off the cruise at 60-70mph which again could be worth considering. Cruise control is an easy retrofit through Timmus at A2oc that again would probably be a useful addition.

Admittedly, if you're coming from an SM (another proper classic that was years ahead of its time if a bit mental in conception!) - surely you'd accept a 1.6FSi as something rational and easy to look after in comparison? ...

I can get a 70s Raleigh 700c-wheel touring bike in mine with the rear seats simply folded and the front wheel taken off, although it needs to be put in the right way round so that the front mudguard lines up with the back of the passenger seat. Doing the full double fold / rear seat removal process to get the floor flat from the battery compartment to the front seats would allow a couple of bikes and a surprising range of other stuff to be put in there if needs be, but I haven't yet had to resort to this.

Hi and thanks for all of the quick replies so far.

I like things that are a little bit quirky. I'm currently having a 1949 Renault 760 restored, (760cc, 17hp!) and also own a Citreon CX, (which has been way too long off the road.)

To most people an A2 would now be classed as an "old" car but to me would seem almost new! As I am generally into older cars I do consider myself a "sympathetic" driver. I even used to regularly get mid 60s mileage out of my works Fiat Fiorino 1.3tdi van, (whilst most of my coleagues were in the mid 40s.)

Not sure if I'd be a long term A2 owner. I live in Durham but from March next year will be doing a course in Pompey for about a year. When I finish I'll be off to sea for 4 month stints so don't know what I'll do then.

It's only for me and my bike, (even then I would normally be taking my Moulton, which would be easy, but to start with it would have to be my full sized bike, which looks like it should be OK.)

The 1.4s sound pretty good. Any owners close to Durham?

LG.

Hi Robin. I was typing as your reply came in.

The Citroen SM is just my dream car I'm afraid, but one I am determined to own, if I even simply buy one, keep it for a summer and then sell it on. I like the idea of buying one from Italy or the South of France and driving it home.

What Raleigh touring bike do you own? I have a pair of 80s "Classics" and an early 90s Randonneur, which is the very bike I'm tallking about. Last year I rode it from Mykolaiv, Ukraine, back to Amsterdam, (and from there, after a ferry to Newcastle, home.) It looks like I needn't worry about fitting the bike in then.

Cheers,

LG.

I'm not too far away so if you want we could meet halfway sometime for a chat - I'd be happy to give you the benefit of what I've learnt.

don't worry about miles on the TDI engine (tdi75) they do stella miles if serviced regularly, I own one with 288K miles on it and it runs like a sewing machine

Hi Robin. I was typing as your reply came in.

The Citroen SM is just my dream car I'm afraid, but one I am determined to own, if I even simply buy one, keep it for a summer and then sell it on. I like the idea of buying one from Italy or the South of France and driving it home.

What Raleigh touring bike do you own? I have a pair of 80s "Classics" and an early 90s Randonneur, which is the very bike I'm tallking about. Last year I rode it from Mykolaiv, Ukraine, back to Amsterdam, (and from there, after a ferry to Newcastle, home.) It looks like I needn't worry about fitting the bike in then.

Cheers,

LG.

Raleigh Arena in blue, originally 5-speed, now running as a single speed with carbon wheels - suspected mid to late 70s (76?) due to the Olympic paint job. Pulled out of a skip intact at the city dump in 2006 while my newer bikes were being shipped back from Canada and used for commuting & tooling about ever since with periodic improvements (saddle, braking, wheels) for comfort and safety.

don't worry about miles on the TDI engine (tdi75) they do stella miles if serviced regularly, I own one with 288K miles on it and it runs like a sewing machine

Hi and cheers for that. I'm tending to rules out anything much over 100K at the moment. I always think of small capacity engines as having to work extra hard and therefore having a shorter life. Seems that isn't alaways the case then.

LG.

Hi and cheers for that. I'm tending to rules out anything much over 100K at the moment. I always think of small capacity engines as having to work extra hard and therefore having a shorter life. Seems that isn't alaways the case then.

LG.

If you're not looking long term ownership (this will change in a few months after you've bought one... ) and as @depronman says the 1.4tdi is a truly capable engine. I have two currently, one with 140k (wifey's) and my own with just over 212k now, both still running sweet as a nut.

Have a look at this thread https://www.a2oc.net/community/inde...e-highest-mileage-a2-and-the-200k-club.30765/ for further evidence :)

Yes, I have been looking at that thread. I have to admit that I was quite impressed by the little 1.3tdi Fiorino I had for work. Seemed to go well and didn't have any issues. I put 87 000miles on in just under 2 years and was looking forward to passing the 100k mark, until that stupid dry stone wall jumped out in front of me.

It seemed to have more poke that the naturally aspirated 1.9 Partner that came after it. Probably lost out in top speed but was all.

Yes, I'm beginning to like the sound of those 3 pot 1.4s. The mapped ones sound even better.

LG.

A mapped 75 produces much more low down torque than standard and so feels like it has a much larger engine. Economy as a result benefits and they do accelerate a little better. A mapped 75 is probably a better car than a standard 90.

A full size road bike fits easily with a with wheels off. Engines go on forever but do need some TLC and regular servicing. Again not too far away from you and willing to meet half way (on the A1) to show you my 75.

Hi all. Been hanging around on here for a week now. Thanks to all that have offered advice on here. I think that I know a lot more about A2s than a did a week ago! Still haven't been "up close" to one yet but that should change this weekend. I think that I have replied to everyone that has kindly offered to show me their car.

Things that slightly put me off are the electronics, reports of motorway "noise" and a "hard" ride. I've never had a car that would give any warnings other than oil pressure and water temp. I imagine that these cars give an annoying warning when a service is due and which can't be reset unless you have a clever piece of kit or know someone that has.

I have always service my cars well within the recommended periods. Not sure how that would work with an A2.

Having said all of that I'm still quite keen, (on a TD 75.) It seems possible to find a few around the £1500 mark, with say 95-140K, usually with some history and a cam belt/water pump change. I'm thinking about something around there and then have the oil pump drive done to bring the price up to around £2000. And maybe, if it seems worth it, go for a re-map.

Trouble is though, there are so few for sale and, at least at the moment, none anywhere near me. Still, I don't need one until around Feb/March.

LG.

You can reset the service indicator from the driver seat by holding down some of the binnacle buttons if you like. It just resets the standard interval.

I find the motorway noise a lot less than my previous cars - the sound insulation seems good and the wind noise isn’t too bad. My former cars have been Smart Fortwo, VW camper, Toyota celica and a Honda Civic. This one seemed the quietest but it’s not a particularly quiet comparison group.

Good luck and enjoy window shopping. I did and waited almost three months to get a good un.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be fair, I'm not going to be hammering up and down the m/ways at full throttle. I'm sure that the wheels and tyres fitted are going to play a big part in road noise.

Re your ‘hard ride’ comment, this was certainly something that contemporary road tests highlighted. It’s not something I’ve particularly noticed, and on a 700 mile round trip to Yorkshire it was perfectly comfortable. I don’t remember noise being a particular issue either. Worth noting that modern cars ride very firmly indeed in comparison to those of 10 never mind 20 years ago, and have far lower profile tyres. The ride on ours, which is on 50 profile 16” wheels, has never been a concern. I’ve just bought a MINI Clubman to replace a very short lived SEAT Ibiza - the MINI is on 35 profile tyres!!

Back