Loose headlining in rear corner

richardbe

Hi All,
Our headlining has come loose at the rear. I've tried tucking the edge back into the fold/joint in the hope that friction might hold it in place but unfortunately gravity won. Does anyone have any tips for an effective repair?
The yellow stuff is quite dusty and flaky so I assume I will need to hoover it up before I apply anything sticky otherwise it won't bond.
Thanks!

IMG_9111 copy.JPG

Ultimately the lining needs to be replaced. You can however perform at least a lasting repair using brake parts cleaner. Protect ALL plastic and painted areas. Using safety glasses and a face mask spray some brake cleaner onto the orange foam and let it sit for 10 seconds. Now gently stretch the lining back up into place removing wrinkles as you go. As you have said tuck the edges over. While holding the edges rub the lining with a clean white cloth to firmly press the lining onto the foam. Do not rush and divide the repair up a little but start the next section before the glue rehardens on the first section.

The brake parts cleaner will completely evaporate off leaving no stain behind.

Try a little bit first to gain confidence.

I have this... You might want to check if it's coming away as the front too around the sun visors etc and hand grips.

A solution discovered by me is to use a Pritt stick. Cover the crumbling foam with with liberal strokes with the pen wait for a short while then carefully press the cloth back into place. Touching wood whilst I say this, it's lasted for more than a year so far and leaves no marks whatsoever.

Good luck.

Tell us more please.
So my car is an OSS model. The headliner was a little baggy in places along the cant rail but as the OSS is being sorted by Kleynie next month, I have removed my headliner to ease their time and hopefully my cost. The quote I got for headliner retrimming was £400 which when you think about it is reasonable. However, I am more of a 'learn a new skill' where I can, and as the fabric and adhesive is £40 or thereabouts, in Manmaths I have 10 tries at it. I have located the correct fabric with 2mm foam backing (2m will do it at £9.99/m) but not including the pillars, which will need to be done too. The fabric is 2mm foam-backed and is a little lighter grey than the original platinum, hence the pillars will also need doing. These are turning out to be another story..
The inital attempt last weekend was OK. about a 7/10 for result, but I think I can do it better. So last night I removed my handiwork for attempt number2. Thats £40 in the bin, but a lot learned, and still saving (not time, only money!)
Thinks learned so far: I have a rare side-airbag option which makes removing the grab handles tougher, the headliner is really easy to remove -about an hour as a first-timer, but I can see how its a lot quicker for experienced folk.
The pillar trims are almost impossible to remove the fabric from, as it is head-welded to the back side (ouch) and stuck somehow on the plastic. I am guessing they will need trimming over the top, but then refitting maybe a problem- they are a b****r to remove in the first place!
I can post a 'how-to' once my work is complete, which may help people. However, if time is pressing, and a guaranteed result is required, then the £400 option is a really good one.

A solution discovered by me is to use a Pritt stick. Cover the crumbling foam with with liberal strokes with the pen wait for a short while then carefully press the cloth back into place. Touching wood whilst I say this, it's lasted for more than a year so far and leaves no marks whatsoever.

Good luck.

I've booked in with @Kleynie for my daily non-OSS TDI. Since it's basically a no-cost option I might have a go at the Pritt stick repair in the mean time. If it works it'll certainly look better than the row of drawing pins I've currently got in place! If not, nothing lost 👍

£400... o_O Crackers... think your £40 is where I'm at, I'll look forward to your write-up, may I ask what & where you bought the fabric.

👍

The pritt stick solution sounds closer to my price point! I suspect we won’t be keeping it that long so really want a good temp solution that isn’t a tatty bodge.

£400... o_O Crackers... think your £40 is where I'm at, I'll look forward to your write-up, may I ask what & where you bought the fabric.

👍
I don't think its Crackers- I think its a really good price actually- I just fancied 'having a go'. The fabric is on EBay or from their own site.
Its a bit lighter, and they do other colours. They will charge £20 extra for rolling it instead of loosely folding it.

Last October I paid South West Auto Trimmings almost £200 for a non OSS headliner recover - I took out the headliner and removed the old foam and gave them a cleaned biscuit. They were very slow though. See

The heatwave over the past days has led to my passenger rear side headlining falling away. Looks awful, the car seems to be falling apart in its old age. Thinking through options to reattach the lining its just a 9inch upper corner on an non-OSS.

Back