lots of new users not created....

bretti_kivi

there have been lots of registrations from known spam bots in the last day. If you've not had your registration accepted and you're a real, live human with an interest in the A2, please retry with a believable username / email combination :)

I've banned at least 10 new registrations today alone.

Bret

I run a forum using phpBB and had the same problem. Some weeks ago I changed the captcha to a more obtuse format and since then only had 2. It will be more difficult for a human and they may have to refresh a few times, but it's only a once off job. I also have my telephone number for those who find it difficult.

They say there are hoards of Chinese sitting at computers registering on forums so one has to make it frustrating so they pass over to some other poor souls web site.

I was going to add a screen shot of the captcha but I'm not allowed to add attachments.

In the last 40 or so applicants I have zapped there was only one genuine new member.
I think we should suspend new membership applications for the next couple of months on the basis that we may miss a few genuine members in the short term but will save us all hours of wasted time.
If there is general agreement I assume that only Ben can make the changes

Cheers Spike

Agreed Spike - a little harsh, but as long as there's a post of explanation, I think prospective members will understand.

Cheers,

Mike

It might be an idea, but I do worry that this might have an adverse effect on the clubs reputation for those genuinely interested parties.

Three just, one of which appears genuine.

Happy to run with the majority decision on this.

Darren

It might be an idea, but I do worry that this might have an adverse effect on the clubs reputation for those genuinely interested parties.

Agreed Darren, but I know how irritating it is to the board administrators to get these all the time.

Given that many (if not all) of these registrations are from automated bots then I suggest a note is made on the registration page asking people to send an email to join along with details of their A2 registration no., model, name, address, etc. and preferred user ID. Admin then sets them up.

Or try a harder captcha.

My 2p

So far today I have zaped at least 20. Just a thought why not delete
/ban any one who fails registration as all the bots do!
Cheers
Mike

So far today I have zaped at least 20. Just a thought why not delete
/ban any one who fails registration as all the bots do!
Cheers
Mike

Hi Mike
When you zap them I assume you are clicking on the 'ban user' box before deleting. This should permantly ban all 'failed' applicants

Thanks Dan, I've removed the thread and banned the low life who sneaked through the net.

Cheers Spike

Last edited:
Back