Loud Bang over speed hump!

02Paul

A2OC Donor
Hi everyone.

Leaving work today (06:00 -1.5C) I had a very loud bang/snap from the right hand front when going over a speed hump. About a quarter of a mile down the road, something (metallic) fell off. Haven't had time to investigate yet but just wondered if these sequence of events point to one specific issue. As it was icy/light snow this morning I was driving at reduced speeds so could not really tell if there was any difference in handling.

Appreciate any advise. (Will read responses this afternoon/evening).

Regards.

Paul.

Almost certainly suspension spring. Reading the forums the fronts seam to be the main culprit.
What car do you have? I might have a spare spring for you?

If it was anything else other than the spring you would have noticed straight away i would have thought. so i would have gone with spring but you may not be able to see where the bit has broken off

picture.php

I've added this just as a something to compare

Cheers Phil

Thanks guys.

Took some pictures this afternoon which shows the problem.

I'm surprised it has gone at 82000 but I suppose the firm set up of the A2 combined with the pot holed roads around here (Bedfordshire) has not helped.

Looks like I need to get the pressure washer out as well! :eek:

showphoto.php

showphoto.php

Thanks guys.

Took some pictures this afternoon which shows the problem.

I'm surprised it has gone at 82000 but I suppose the firm set up of the A2 combined with the pot holed roads around here (Bedfordshire) has not helped.

Looks like I need to get the pressure washer out as well! :eek:

showphoto.php

showphoto.php

Hi not sure if its just me but i'm unable to view your pics :confused:

Phil

Sorry to hear about this. They can break at much lower mileages, though. The NSF one failed on my previous A2 at approx 40k.

Shame it's the OSF one - much more work involved due to the brake reservoir.

I've attached the images again. If they're not visible, you could view them in my gallery pictures (the last two added).

I'm amazed to hear that they can go at 40000. I would not have been happy about that!

Regards.

Paul.

showphoto.php

showphoto.php

Hi 02Paul,

It is difficult to see in the pics, so the best way to tell if it is the spring is to carefully (since it might be sharp!) run your finger up the coil of the spring until you reach the butt end of it at the top. A broken spring will have a jagged edge to it (hence the sharp bit!). A new spring has a flat end, and should be quite smooth. You can do this best with the car slightly jack up, no need to remove the wheels, but be sure it is secure before putting your arm up the wheel arch, wouldn't want the jack to fail with you arm and hand in the suspension!

Cheers,

David

Broken spring

Thanks for that Spike. I think it's the same issue by the look of it.

Regards.

Paul.

Firstly thanks to everyone for the advise/offers of help. The A2OC really is a great community.

The 'loud bang' was the right hand front spring braking at the top.

So I had both front springs replaced by my mobile mechanic for £200 (including original Audi parts).

I was expecting a much bigger bill, so needless to say, I'm very happy.

Regards.

Paul.

Back