Lower engine cover/tray

JamesS

Hi Guys,

Just got my 1.4TDi back from its 2nd service today and i'm not very happy with Yeovil Audi. Various problems but the main one is when i got home i removed the bonnet to check for any obvious leaks etc. When i looked down the drivers side of the engine i noticed a blue workshop rag had been left behind on top of the underside engine cover. When i removed this there was approx 2" circular hole underneath where some sort of blank would normally fit. Anyone any idea what its for and would audi have removed it during the service? I'm 99% sure it was there yesterday as i can now see the ground now when looking down the side of the engine and i'm pretty sure i would have noticed this before.
Audi claim they refitted everything that the car came in with but i dont believe them.
Its just behind the front bumper on the divers side.

Many Thanks James

Hi James
Early TDi's have an auxiliary coolant heater which burns diesel. The bottom of the exhaust pipe from the heater has a round flange where it passes through the undertray and this has to be unscrewed when the undertray is removed during servicing. It's almost certain the mechanic forgot refit the flange which is held in place by 3 screws.
Apart from the missing screws, nothing will be damaged or lost as the exhaust assy is fixed on the heater bodyr.
Sorry for taking so long to reply but I only got round to removing my bonnet today to check what you meant.

Cheers Spike

Thanks Spike,

My A2 is on an 04 plate and doesnt have the auxilary heater as fitted to the ealier cars. I have since spoken to Audi Yeovil and they say there was never a blank fitted to cars which didnt have the aux heater. I been keeping an eye out for an A2 of similar age to mine to check if they have one or not, but there arent many a2s about in general!
I am fairly sure it was there before but i cant be 100% sure?

James

Hello James,

My A2 is an October 2004 TDi 90 and has the same hole as yours - and always has had it. There is no blanking plug. If it's a hole with some curved slots around it, then Spike is correct in his post about it being the outlet for the Webasto auxillary heater.

Cheers,

Mike

Back