Lower Road Tax for A2 Tdi's!!!!!

If Im right (Ive just had a browse through the new budget report) and cars in band B for road tax (Audi A2 1.4 Tdi!) will be reduced by £35!!!!!!!

We currently pay £85 a year, from the 23rd March this will go down to £50!!

Quote:

"VED rates will also be reduced for band B by £35 and C by £5, frozen for
bands D and E, and increased by £25 for band F"

I think this only includes cars registered from 2001 onwards

I hope I'm right by saying this and if I am than that is excellent news and just reward I say for the super low emissions the Tdi gives out! Finally Gordon Brown seems to have got something right!!! :eek:)

That is GREAT news!

Now all we need is for the Ken Livingston to do the same and base congestion charge on C02 emissions as well... Why should a Lexus 4x4 be exempt from paying (with a rating of 192) just because of a battery pack that makes it faster and hardly greener (especially in year 5 when it needs replacing/recyling)?

All cars in this low tax band should be exempt and that will also encourage people to buy small cars and not 4x4 hybrids...

Last edited:
Top news, a rarity in the motoring world when it comes to pricing and taxation!

Brown may have done me some good for the first time, but I'll still never vote for him, Tony or their chums

;)

Ian

Petrol A2s go down by £5 to £100 as they are in band C.

A large number of cars bought since 2001 will be in Band F and owners may view this a stealth tax (£165-£190). Particularly if they don't do many miles in them - not that I'm bitter !

I'd wager this won't the the first time the higher bands get disproportionately more expensive.

I just taxed the A2 tdi on Tues - nuts!, I wonder if I'll get my £35 back ? :eek:

Good news, 35 quid better off on the A2. Hurrah!
Bad news, 45 quid worse off on the RS4. Boo!

Hmmmmm... I can't really complain. Nobody NEEDS a car that does 0-60 in < 5 seconds so it's my choice.

Re the Congestion Charge, I agree it is bizarre that a Lexus SUV Hybrid (or a Range Rover with an LPG tank) is exempt while my A2 TDi pays it. But to be honest I think the solution to that is that we should all pay, not that low C02 cars should become exempt. It is a _congestion_ charge after all and my A2 takes up a one-car-sized space on the road.

Cheers, Richard.

viffer - have you been tempted by the new RS4 ? - In a moment of madness, I almost traded in the A4 (only 18 months old :eek: ), as I walk to work most days, and since getting rid of my old toy, have missed something with some go.

Swindon Audi now have them in stock - I was lucky enough to be there whilst they were moving one around - the noise inside the showroom was... well - you know :)

A Couple of us drove the S4 at Castle Combe last October
on the Audi Driver Experience and that thing shifted
so i can only imagine what the RS4 is like ......

gjp33 said:
viffer - have you been tempted by the new RS4

Not really. Which is a shame because I wanted to be tempted. For me the performance improvement seems marginal, I like turbos, it just doesn't look special enough (hard to tell the difference cf an A4 s-line) and, being non-limited supply, I foresee some horrific rs6-style depreciation.

This has also been much discussed on rs246.com, including reviews by people who now own both the old RS4 and the new one and are seriously unsure about which one to keep... and another chap who cancelled his order after the test drive, having concluded that his old one is a better car!

Anyway I'll reserve final judgement until I drive the new one but thus far haven't bothered to arrange a test drive, which also tells me something.

Any suggestions about what to buy next? Not less than the current performance please (0-60 4.8sec), 4 proper seats, no Mercs.

Cheers, Richard.

If you have just taxed your vehicle you can claim a refund and then retax it at the new rate. Not sure I can be bothered but you are allowed to do it.

I understand that - the old RS was also tunable, whereas this new one has no such easy options.

It surely handles a lot better though - I've only been able to compare my TDi against the latest quattro 2T - but even that comparison was enough to make obvious the improvement Audi have made on the latest models (B7 is it now ?)

you're right on the value front - there is no way this one will hold it's value like the old version - and the thing is, the B6 chassis, in all it's forms, was never known for it's driver involvement - so I guess the appeal of something that can do the ring in under 8 mins, but also involve the pilot, is a new thing for Audi drivers - unlike say, the BMW crowd, who are well used to cars that are good at that sort of thing.

talking of which - regardless of the hype - the nearest competitor is the M badge, if the new RS doesn't do it for you, maybe the upcoming M3 ? The only thing in this 'bracket' I can think of with forced induction would be a Jag Type R.

hmy7k said:
If you have just taxed your vehicle you can claim a refund and then retax it at the new rate. Not sure I can be bothered but you are allowed to do it.
How do I go about doing this? I taxed my car last week, paying £85, so now I should get £35 back.

Has anyone payed the new rate yet as i have just recieved my V11 renewal for my car tax and it say's £85 for the year and £46.75 for 6 monts will this be put right when i go to the P.O........

I have sent off my old tax disc for a refund and just took the v5 to the post office to retax it, the post office knew it was £50, this was at the end of March.

Back