Lube me up baby

bammers

I've got open sky on mine... it makes a disconcerting CLUNK when moving back. Can anyone point me towards a good lube to use on the roof parts to aid their movement?

Regards Bammers

First thing to realise is that lubing without cleaning the old stuff off will just make matters worse, as all you're doing is making extra grinding paste!

After you've cleaned the rubbers and mechanism as best you can (WD40 as a solvent and a cloth/brush), then lube the rubber with silicone lube, available from B&Q, in the drainage section - it;s designed for underground pipes and is great stuff, a little goes a long way.

Then, use something like Silkopen, which is a graphite-loaded penetrating spray, for the mechnism. It evaporates to leave a layer of graphite behind, giving long term lubrication.

Cheers,

MIke

Bang on Mike
Having extensive experience with sunroofs, both OE and after-market, the advice from Mike is correct. Any lube job MUST be preceeded by a thorough degrease/cleansing of all mechanical parts and all seals. By far the best lube in this application is a graphite based (aerosol preferably) product applied sparingly and worked in. This type of lube can be used for door and window seals and a lock barrel lube too. In my sunroof fitting days I always recommended an annual sunroof service. Dont forget to check the drain tubes for obstructions, a QUICK SHORT air blast and a water drain test is really all thats needed. Dont have an opensky on our Hump Dumpy (kids!) but often wondered what it would take to remove one and overhaul it. Blue skies are acoming! ;)

mmm, tried our opensky for the 1st time this year yesterday and only the 1st panel opened, no nasty noises but it just stopped as i suppose the second panel is stuck down. so its a quick search of old posts to find the way forward )-:

mmm, tried our opensky for the 1st time this year yesterday and only the 1st panel opened, no nasty noises but it just stopped as i suppose the second panel is stuck down. so its a quick search of old posts to find the way forward )-:

If the second panel sticks, press it at the rearmost edge (if you've the mesh screen in place, be gentle to avoid distorting the mesh). By pressing up in combination with pressing the open button, you'll free the glass from the rubbers and then you should clean and lube whilst it's open.

Cheers,

Mike

If the second panel sticks, press it at the rearmost edge (if you've the mesh screen in place, be gentle to avoid distorting the mesh). By pressing up in combination with pressing the open button, you'll free the glass from the rubbers and then you should clean and lube whilst it's open.

Cheers,

Mike

As always mike your advice is spot on, just done it and its running as smooth as new, that's a relief, i was expecting problems with this. Thanks

Alan

No worries Alan - why not try the roof with the mesh screen removed (as mine is) - it makes the inside much lighter and also makes maintenance easier.

If you don't like it, you can always clip it back in place.

Cheers,

Mike

Help! :(

Today i went to the local DIY supermarket and got myself the following:
-a can of WD40
-a can of special canola oil for rubber
-a can of lubricating oil with graphite (MoS2)
I started by cleaning the rubber part of the open sky system with WD40. Then went on to the channels that house the skid pads on which the glass panels supports travel. These were lubed with some kind of grease, that was all dirty. I cleaned everything up with a cloth and went on to treat the rubber parts with the canola oil mixture.
I then took the graphite spray and i got it everywhere i could in those channels.
Now the panels move in jumps, and i'm afraid the pulling engine is going to go, because it sounds very very overworked. The graphite spray is not yet dry after 3 hours, but i believe it won't feel any better in the morning.
Does anyone have any ideas on any other lubing agent for the skid pads and channels, but something just as easy to put in, because i dread the thought of having to remove glass panels to get access to lube those channels?
Pls help, i'm desperate!:eek:

Seeing that nobody knows the magic lubing solution for the open sky guide rails, can anyone have a look and confirm that it's ordinary grease?

Hi trex
This is what the official Audi service entails -
-check sunroof for leaks
-clean lower and upper guide rails (left and right)
-spray the guide rails
-lubricant 'G 052 778 A2'
-check function of sunroof

Sorry I don't have any idea whats special about the Audi lubricant

Cheers Spike

Well that's a start, thanks!
Now it's just a matter of a call to the local parts shop in order to see what is the magic G named lubricant, get it or get a substitute.
Will let you know.

I cleaned & oiled my OpenSky today and I am glad I did as the second panel was initially stuck when I first tried to open it. I used B&Q Three-in-one Silicon Lubricant Spray. However I have a slight judder when the first panel is moving back, which stops when it 'picks up' the second panel. The judder is also noticeable on the return as but not nearly as bad. Any thoughts / quick fixes?

Overall I spent about three hours cleaning the interior of my A2 today - Windolened inside of the windows, dusted, wiped, vacuumed and finally used Audi 'Leather Treatment' on the seats. Wow, wonderful stuff which I heartily recommend and really rejuvenates the leather; it even smells nice.

Back