Lubricating the clutch pedal fulcrum?

Sylvester

Hi all, since I bought my A2 there has been a slight squeaking-springy noise from the clutch, but only upon release, it's quiet when depressing it. It happens regardless temperature or engine temperature. The clutch had been changed since and works great, but that noise is still there.

I've found an article mentioning it'd be bearings, but worth trying lubricating the clutch "pedal fulcrum"? Unfortunately I've no idea what that is :oops:. Has anyone got a picture of it's location? WD40 is enough of grease is better?
Thanks.

Hi all, since I bought my A2 there has been a slight squeaking-springy noise from the clutch, but only upon release, it's quiet when depressing it. It happens regardless temperature or engine temperature. The clutch had been changed since and works great, but that noise is still there.

I've found an article mentioning it'd be bearings, but worth trying lubricating the clutch "pedal fulcrum"? Unfortunately I've no idea what that is :oops:. Has anyone got a picture of it's location? WD40 is enough of grease is better?
Thanks.
Follow the clutch pedal upwards from the foot plate. Somewhere up under the dash area it will fit into a pivot plate which is bolted, I assume to the bulkhead. I would suggest silicone spray to the pivot point, but wipe off excess.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Follow the clutch pedal upwards from the foot plate. Somewhere up under the dash area it will fit into a pivot plate which is bolted, I assume to the bulkhead. I would suggest silicone spray to the pivot point, but wipe off excess.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Not WD-40, it's not a lubricant.
Silicone or PTFE dry lubricant is fine. Nothing greasy as it'll attract dust.
Mac.

As you have mentioned "squeaking-springy noise" then the over centre spring could be the cause. If not then perhaps the bearings in the pedal.

Hi all, so I've had a look and found the spring attached to the clutch, sprayed silicone on it, unfortunately still the same creaking noise. It's rather coming from the engine bay.

While there, I've noticed some residue at the end of brake pedal cover, just around the yellow ribbon. Plus there's some loose blue ribbon on the brake pedal, not sure that matters. I'm not loosing any brake fluid, any idea about it?
Screenshot_20230825_161054_Gallery.jpg

So I took the bonnet off then, called the neighbour and he pointed at the area underneath there.
Screenshot_20230825_161615_Gallery.jpg

There's nothing moving visible from the top of the engine when using the clutch. Shall I use the ramp, tray off and see what's going on, or it's possible the bearing and that's inside something I can't normally reach? The clutch is <2 years old, not sure if they were supposed to address that part too.
Thanks a lot.

If you're sure its coming from under the bonnet/gearbox area when pedal is depressed it could well be a dry creaking clutch cover diaphram.
Nothing you can do about that short of gearbox out, which is not worth it, if as you say the clutch is not that old. (if still under warranty take it back) You will not see anything moving in the engine bay as everything happens inside the gearbox bellhousing.
I would play the wait and see if it develops for now
You didn't say if the creaking noise is with engine running or not?

Last edited:
If you're sure its coming from under the bonnet/gearbox area when pedal is depressed it could well be a dry creaking clutch cover diaphram.
Nothing you can do about that short of gearbox out, which is not worth it, if as you say the clutch is not that old. (if still under warranty take it back) You will not see anything moving in the engine bay as everything happens inside the gearbox bellhousing.
I would play the wait and see if it develops for now
You didn't say if the creaking noise is with engine running or not?
It happens on and off the engine. It's been like that since I got the car, over 4 years ago. I can't take it back as it was a mobile mechanic who did the clutch. One morning it gave in completely, sounded like chainsaw gridning on metal, I was lucky to find someone willing to do change it. They'd changed the whole kit including the guide sleeve, has been working great since, but the nosie was there before and after.
Sounds like the bearings, I wonder what happens when that gives in? Apart from that springy noise, the clutch works great.
Thanks.

Out of curiosity when was the clutch last flushed / bled? It should be done at the same time as the brakes i.e. every 2 years.

Out of curiosity when was the clutch last flushed / bled? It should be done at the same time as the brakes i.e. every 2 years.
Less than a year ago, I'd actually followed your instructions on that👍 . It sounds like dry springs, so I guess it's bearing related after all. Cheers

Last edited:
Okay, so I've noticed something. The slower I release the clutch, the less noise it makes.
If I take my foot off quickly, loud springy noise, if I do that very slowly, very little noise, and if I move it inch by inch, there's almost nothing.
Does it help anything? Thanks

Difficult I know but get your head down beside the clutch pedal and slowly press the pedal while watching and listening to the over centre spring, then repeat faster. Look for the spring juddering or jumping on something especially at either end connection.

Back