Lumpy running at low constant revs

I have a 2001 1.4 petrol from new and it has done 30k miles. It has been a great car with no problems other than a replaced waterpump under warranty.
2 weeks ago the engine check light came on constant. The dealer fitted a new exhaust recirc valve and since the car feels like it is missing when driven at a constant speed and the rev needle fluctuates very slightly at tickover.
The dealer, after 2 days investigation, says that the old valve had been allowing the wrong mixture and has probably damaged the cylinder head. The warning light was only on for about 10 miles.
They have put fuel cleaner in the tank but say if this doesn't work a new head is about £1500. How likely does this sound and advice appreciated.

surely his diagnostics and experience should hit the nail on the head? sounds like a coil to me, i just replaced 3 following much the same symptoms as yours.

Hi Lawrence, welcome to the A2oc.
In my opinion the chances of needing a new cyl head are very unlikely.
As andyboy suggests, faulty coil packs are the most likely cause. There are also some recent posts suggesting new spark plugs can make a big difference.
One thing to try before even considering a replacement head would be a compression check which would show up pitted / leaking valves or seats.

Cheers Spike

Back