medium-term economy...

bretti_kivi

just out of interest, I recently got back from a trip to Germany.

Average: 5.9l/100km, so 47.5mpg.
@ 70km/h
around 3600km, 50+ hours of driving time.

Speeds mainly at 105-110km/h (I still haven't cured the vibration and it's bad at 120); with a few excursions to the right side of 160km/h.

Still, considering I've had decent suspension performance, I'm not unhappy. The pressures are 2.3 / 2.5 IIRC and that's made a huge difference.
This is all fully-loaded, to the window line with both rear seats used.

- Bret

Your average speed was 70km/h? I presume there were plenty of cold starts and pootling about as well as motorway runs?

Tom

much local stuff in Germany, but we left the car where it was in Köln, no point in trying to find a parking space and when public transport is so accessible....

Speeds were down to an average of 63km/h at one point and came back up on the way home. So I think that says quite a bit. And Sweden is essentially all "A" road, Denmark was motorway only and Germany involved a *lot* of traffic jams and redirection.

- Bret

Given the nature of things, it sounds like your mpg was pretty good for the petrol. The best I've ever achieved from the 1.4 petrol is 55ish mpg, but that was purely a motorway run at a steady 60mph.

Tom

The run to the ferry port here and through Sweden on the way down gave me 5.3 or so (down to 5.2 at one point!). That's around 54mpg.

Having said that, that includes a section or three where I saw a tractor in the distance and didn't bother to turn GRA off .... =8-o and getting lost in Stockholm.

If we go up to the summer house next weekend, lightly loaded, I'd expect to see again the 5.2. Which ain't too shabby for a ten-year-old car!

- Bret

Last edited:
Back