Metallic screeching noise when cornering

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ade

After owning for 5 and a half months the day has finally come when I have had my first proper fault, I guess I've been lucky up until now after reading some of the experiences on here.

This lunchtime I noticed a weird noise coming from under the car when travelling back to work. Didn't think much of it, but then when came home tonight it was awful. A weird screeching noise, only when I turn right (not when it's a gentle turn, i.e. only when pressure on the suspension - but I'm not talking about wild cornering here). Definitely metallic, but not a constant steady noise. The only thing I can equate it to is a pulsing almost rotating noise.

I have phoned my dealer and they will listen tomorrow lunch time. Anyone else had this before?

I knew it was too good to be true. 5 years I've had my A4 without a single fault and yet 5 months in I'm off to my dealer with the A2. I just hope it's nothing serious. [V]

Audi A2 1.4SE
Build Wk40/2002 | OpenSky | Azure Blue | Climate | DIS | APS | Lumbar | Rear Drinks Holder

Stone caught in the disc brakes somewhere?. Something caught around the wheel?.

Steve - 2002 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior, Then an identical replacement 2003 A2. Now a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit

Weird thing is that after a few turns this morning it went away. I tried a couple of harder turns nearer work and no sound.

Think I'll still take it in.

Audi A2 1.4SE
Build Wk40/2002 | OpenSky | Azure Blue | Climate | DIS | APS | Lumbar | Rear Drinks Holder

I had something like that with a Suzuki Swift several years ago after driving some very nasty field path. When I went straight it was almost unnoticable, when when driving around a corner a very heavy rocking hit the car with every revolution of the drive shaft. Steering was more difficult too, but the car didn't have power steering. On the way to the workshop the problem suddenly vanished.

My guess is that somehow a stone got caught in the cardan joint of the drive shaft.

Martin

I had a similar noise from a front wheel on my Polo, It sounded like I was dragging the exhaust, I stopped and checked under the car and all was clear, As you did I went straight to VW told them the problem, they couldn't repeat it so said it wasn't any thing to worry about.

All was fine for about a month then it came back alot louder and I was convinced that something had fallen off but again nothing, got home took the front wheels off and found that one wouldn't rotate freely, the cause of the problem was a sticking brake cylinder it had corroded and wasn't free to return when you released the brake pedel.

Just a thought but shouldn't happen to a nearly new car

Lee and Sheridan,
TDI SE, Dolphin Grey,
Original Audi 6 CD Changer (Fitted in proper location by me)

Thanks guys, this has disappeared totally now, the engineer listened patiently as I couldn't recreate it, scratched his head and suggested a stone got in. Relief! I am assuming no permanent damage from this kind of thing, none on your Suzuki for example Martin?

Audi A2 1.4SE

No damage to the suzuki. It's a fabulous robust car (but that's all that can be said in favour of it, apart from the price...)

Martin

Ade - I had exactly what you had - a very worrying metallic sound on right hand turns - got out checked car - could see nothing wrong so carried on. It was only after I had reversed that the sound went - must of been a stone in my wheel/disc - I was relieved.

Bartman

A2 1.4 TDI SE, Amulet Red, Sport Pack, Sky Roof, Sport Seats, BOSE, DIS, Special Rusty Brake Drums.

I have had this.a stone was stuck behind the disc and the disc gard.I remouved the wheel and picked it out.

I was relieved too, after 14 years of motoring I have never had this happen to me before, so I wasn't prepared for it. I take it this disc guard doesn't guard against everything then

Audi A2 1.4SE

It happened to my A2-horrible noise which I had never heard on any car before. Called the helpline, AA turn up 90 mintues later, turn wheel to full lock, screwdriver between disc and pad and out drops a stone. Can you believe it!.

Steve - 2002 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior, Then an identical replacement 2003 A2. Now a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back