Metric thread coil kit

Little Dog

A2OC Donor
European-Union
I've lost lots of threads on my A2 to galvanic corrosion. The steel screw comes out and brings the aluminium female thread with it. Not had this yet but apparently the screws can shear off. Also lost threads due to age related use fatigue. The fix is to drill out and coil a new thread.

I have a partially stripped thread on my sump but a M10 (could be M12 needed) coil kit is quite expensive. I found this on eBay £22 delivered. My logic being, it's not brakes, head, or iron engine parts; it's just a gearbox holding screw in aluminium. A cheap coil kit will do.

IMG_0829.JPG

On first inspection it appears good, drills and taps are marked HSS and the M10 coil fits well on an M10 screw. Feels like a bit of a bargain

I had the same issue but before I completely destroyed my thread on sump I installed this special sump oil valve. It's m14 x1.5 exactly the same as sump bolt. There is a big steel ball valve inside and lever is locked in with strong spring, its actually quite hard to open. My logic was if I put a new coil in the sump I'll be redoing the coil again at some point in the future. This simple valve should fix it for good.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231116-113454~2.png
    Screenshot_20231116-113454~2.png
    515.9 KB · Views: 34
I've lost lots of threads on my A2 to galvanic corrosion. The steel screw comes out and brings the aluminium female thread with it. Not had this yet but apparently the screws can shear off. Also lost threads due to age related use fatigue. The fix is to drill out and coil a new thread.

I have a partially stripped thread on my sump but a M10 (could be M12 needed) coil kit is quite expensive. I found this on eBay £22 delivered. My logic being, it's not brakes, head, or iron engine parts; it's just a gearbox holding screw in aluminium. A cheap coil kit will do.

On first inspection it appears good, drills and taps are marked HSS and the M10 coil fits well on an M10 screw. Feels like a bit of a bargain
That's the exact kit I bought to fix Akoya's stripped dogbone mount! LINK

@Spen - I take it there's not been a reocurrence of the issue since? It was a lovely kit to use and I was very pleased with the strength of the result.

That's the exact kit I bought to fix Akoya's stripped dogbone mount! LINK

@Spen - I take it there's not been a reocurrence of the issue since? It was a lovely kit to use and I was very pleased with the strength of the result.
Did your bolts come loose?
Does the MYP use spacers?
Just had my JDD bolts work a tad loose and create a rattle sound as the spacers were jumping around (when I fitted the box I was ideally a spacer short) think the bolts must have bottomed and given false tightness feedback. Luckily no damage so added more spacers and thread locked the bolts in, they ain't coming loose again, if anything they will shear off lol!

Did your bolts come loose?
Does the MYP use spacers?
Just had my JDD bolts work a tad loose and create a rattle sound as the spacers were jumping around (when I fitted the box I was ideally a spacer short) think the bolts must have bottomed and given false tightness feedback. Luckily no damage so added more spacers and thread locked the bolts in, they ain't coming loose again, if anything they will shear off lol!
Both threads had stripped where the dogbone mounts up to the car - Using this kit I was able to effect a repair and fully torque up the bolts. I was seriously impressed with myself to be honest, but as always a good tool makes the job more likely to be successful.

Both threads had stripped where the dogbone mounts up to the car - Using this kit I was able to effect a repair and fully torque up the bolts. I was seriously impressed with myself to be honest, but as always a good tool makes the job more likely to be successful.
Yes success with helicoils and avoiding a real headache of a problem really makes me feel all fuzzy inside lol

It's also worth investing in some "tap" sockets makes life a lot easier!

Yes success with helicoils and avoiding a real headache of a problem really makes me feel all fuzzy inside lol

It's also worth investing in some "tap" sockets makes life a lot easier!
Are they the magnetic tap holders that convert to 1/4 and 3/8 drive so you can use your socktry to cut threads? Every A2 owner will need them but can’t take a picture at the moment.

Are they the magnetic tap holders that convert to 1/4 and 3/8 drive so you can use your socktry to cut threads? Every A2 owner will need them but can’t take a picture at the moment.
That's the badgers!! So much more convenient than the adjustable tap bar thingy mybob!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231117_191644_com.ebay.mobile.jpg
    Screenshot_20231117_191644_com.ebay.mobile.jpg
    358.1 KB · Views: 36
I had the same issue but before I completely destroyed my thread on sump I installed this special sump oil valve. It's m14 x1.5 exactly the same as sump bolt. There is a big steel ball valve inside and lever is locked in with strong spring, its actually quite hard to open. My logic was if I put a new coil in the sump I'll be redoing the coil again at some point in the future. This simple valve should fix it for good.
Sounds useful and only £12 on ebay* (from China) but what about the normal sump bolt being magnetic and catching any metal particles? Have people who do their own oil changes found evidence of metal particles?

* there is an alternative design on ebay UK made I think in Germany (details are in German) from £30 to £40 but the diagrams don't appear to show any form of magnetic capture - and I can't see how it could. I was searching for: [ sump oil "valve" m14 x1.5 ] - as without the quotes around valve you get 100's of normal sump bolts.

That’s em. Did you recommend them? Wouldn’t be without them.
Dont think I did to be honest and so cannot take any credit, but certainly do!

Not seen many threads (pun intended) relating to thread work and so didn't cross my mind to recommend

Sounds useful and only £12 on ebay* (from China) but what about the normal sump bolt being magnetic and catching any metal particles? Have people who do their own oil changes found evidence of metal particles?

* there is an alternative design on ebay UK made I think in Germany (details are in German) from £30 to £40 but the diagrams don't appear to show any form of magnetic capture - and I can't see how it could. I was searching for: [ sump oil "valve" m14 x1.5 ] - as without the quotes around valve you get 100's of normal sump bolts.
Yes I have - there’s a photo on my blog thread around page 6 or 7 I believe showing the hedgehog of shavings that came out with the the first oil change with the magnetic plug fitted.

Back