Mini Clubman D review vs A2 tdi 75

russellbridge

A2OC Donor
My A2 went to forum member ChumsofManUtd a few months ago as I felt it was getting a bit long in the tooth, and wasn’t giving a good impression to clients (I run a small architectural practice in Manchester).
I thought I’d share some thoughts on it’s replacement – a s/h’ 08 Mini Clubman Cooper D with Sport Pack bought privately with 71k on the clock, for a good deal at £6500. (pictures below)
In short, style over function, poor French diesel engine, similar mpg to A2. Annoyed at BMW for clearly erroneous mpg claims and even worse, a large over-reading on the OBC (DIS equivalent).

Reliability
Maybe I’ve been unlucky, but the car has so far needed almost £3k spent on it, mainly due to a blocked oil pick up in the engine and a blocked oil feed to the turbo resulting in a complete turbo failure. This seems quite a common failure on this PSA 1.6 diesel unit, and on seeing the quality of the failed oil pick up part, it’s easy to understand why. I’m not happy at myself for not spotting that the Mini D has a PSA sourced engine, as this would have influenced my decision to buy. A failing start stop system was traced to a failing ABS seal at £300-odd from mini.

Style
Probably the main reason the mini was top of the list – a quality, classless external design with good overall feel to the interior architecture. Internally, the leather seats and sunroof give it a great feel. The quality of the interior however isn’t brilliant and there’s quite a few bits rattling or not fitting as they should, and the leather isn’t great quality. There’s quite a few bits where style has obviously won over function – massive interior mirror which blocks your view forwards/left, completely illogical stereo controls to name but two. The indicator operation is also silly but I think this is common across all BMW's.

Interior
Despite it being a physically bigger car, the interior space is almost identical to the A2. It has got 3 seats in the back but I can’t see how anyone could get in the middle one, so effectively it’s a four seater with a similar split boot to the A2. The A2 interior looked dated when we picked it up five years ago and it didn’t get any better with time, however everything fitted together well even after being apart a few times, and the leather is very good.

Performance
Overall it feels about as fast as my 1.4tdi 75 remapped by Stealth to 103bhp. The mini is standard at 120bhp, but it’s heavier, and it’s geared a lot longer. Not as strong as the A2 up to 2000rpm, then there’s a bit more from 3000 to 5000rpm, but if you’re economy-driving, you never use this! The engine is more rattly when cold, and doesn’t make as nice a noise as the A2’s three-pot thrum. I spoke to Vince about doing a remap on the mini but he said he wouldn't because of the weak turbo. Not a good sign!

Economy
I wanted a car with better economy than the A2, and so I was lead to a large extent on it’s replacement by mini’s mpg figures and mpg websites (ie HonestJohns real mpg etc) where people state what mpg they’re actually getting. However, BMW’s claims of 69mpg (combined) are downright lies, made much worse by an OBC which is over-reading by 8-10% when compared to brim-brim, so I suspect many of the online reports are incorrect also. I’m currently getting a 54-56mpg OBC reading to a full tank which is actually 48-52mpg brim-brim, on a mix of driving routes and distances (mostly quite quick). In comparison I was getting 47-53 in the A2 on the same mix. I’ve yet to do a full tank at 60mph so I’ll report back when I have, although a 100 mile round trip to Liverpool today suggests a 70+ OBC reading is achievable.

NVH
There’s a lot of tyre noise and wind noise at fast motorway speeds, worse than the A2. It’s about the same at 60mph.

Ride, Handling
I swapped the 18” run flat’s it came with to 15” non-run flats straight away. The ride on the run flats was horrendous and downright dangerous IMHO – if you hit a ridge in the road on a fast bend the car would physically jump a few inches sideways. The ride on 15’s is slightly better than the A2 (less harsh and brittle), but with much better body control, far less roll, and dry and wet handling is much better. Having seen the construction of the run flats when I had one replaced, I'd never use them again -it's a really dumb solution of a solid 1.5" block of rubber at each side of the tyre with an inflatable bit in the middle.

Dealer
Same as all other dealers – I refuse to pay more money to have the pleasure of having the mechanics advice filtered through a clueless receptionist, so I use a good independent instead. For the Mini it’s BM Tech in Salford who I’ve found very good and honest.

Overall
I like the Mini, but I’m disappointed by the use of a poor quality engine and BMW’s marketing lies and over-egging the OBC. I’m going to keep it for the foreseeable future, as I can’t think of anything better at the moment other than chopping back to an A2. If I had the choice of a £6k fully spec’d ’05 A2 tdi, and this £7k fully spec’d ’08 mini D, it’d be a very close call. The mini doesn’t get anywhere near the A2 for a complete engineering package, with a great little (remapped) engine. The Mini wins on style and handling.

IMG_0012.JPGIMG_0014.JPGIMG_0017.JPG

Attachments

• RB Clubman (1).JPG
    RB Clubman (1).JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 331
  • RB Clubman (2).JPG
    RB Clubman (2).JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 337
  • RB Clubman (4).JPG
    RB Clubman (4).JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 345
  • RB Clubman (5).JPG
    RB Clubman (5).JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 354
Last edited:
Hi thanks for sharring your thoughts on the mini d. As our cars get older and mileage increases im sure most of us start to consider "what would I have instead?" Although I cant see it happening soon I always like to know what other cars are about and would I like to own one. So when on holiday I always try and hire cars that I would be interested in owning. We have had 2 and 4 door A1's tfsi power nice-peugeot 3008 1.6 d fantastic car and great engine (same as mini I think) my parents now own one and they love it. Then the last one was a new citroen c4 grand Picasso 1.6d - good space but we hated it. It was utterly gutless and the handling was terrible.
So reading about your dislike of the psa engine was a shock- or havebi been missing bad press- I beleive that they will soon be "the" diesel engine makers to the automotive industry.

Hi,

Recently owned a LARGE V50 Volvo estate (and I mean LARGE)

The strangest thing of all was that (due to the fact that it was the drivE - The economical one) it had a 1.6 Diesel engine. Exactkly the same engine as the Mini D

Even stranger was that it drove completely normally and with very competent acceleration and returned over 50 MPG, even in that heavy Volvo.

So I don't know what Volvo did, but that Mini Diesel engine was a dream!!!

I sold it to a friend and he too now prattles on about how normal the car drives and how amazingly economical it is and yet it has the Diesel 1.6 from a mini !!!

I don't normally admit to having owned a Volvo, but my cars always have something different about them, with the Volvo it was that amazing engine, with the A2 it is EVERYTHING!!!

Steve B

Russell - many thanks for your review. I will have to post my thoughts on my own recently acquired John Cooper Works Clubman, though I'll give it a few weeks as I'm still getting to know it, and also putting right and modding a few minor items.

It's a shame that the PSA engine has cost you - I gather that from 2011, BMW fitted their own 2.0 litre diesel engine to the range (as per the 118d), which is probably a lot more convincing.

BTW, your 18" alloys (R113) are worth a few bob and could be fitted with much more comfortable non-runflats (as on my car) - what did you end up doing with them?

The R113's were copies, not originals, but they still got £450 on ebay...
I'm happy with the black 15's on there now. Much comfier, physically much lighter, better mpg, and I haven't had any issues with loss of grip. And £55ish for decent tyres as opposed to £100+ each
20140226_085741.jpg

Biggest issue with the so called MINI is it's not small in terms of frontal area as you suggest - that and the rather poor Cd combine to make a higher CdA which means you need more bhp for a given speed than the A2. Also acceleration will require more bhp due to the MINI's greater weight.

So I'm not surprised by the real world mpg returns you are getting.

It's a shame the i3 Rex is such an expensive option. My views on it here:

http://bmwi3.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/an-aerospace-engineer-from-uk-compares.html

Very interesting article on the i3 there. Interesting also to hear Adrian Neweys comments on last nights Bahrain GP qualifying BBC coverage noting that the same efficiency increases could have been achieved with less weight rather than the hybrid turbo power systems F1 has moved forward with. I prefer Colin Chapman's 'Simplify, then add lightness' approach myself...

Can you find any CdA values for the Mini? Cd values for the Mini of 0.35 and A2 1.4tdi of 0.28 suggest that the A2 is going to be much better when multiplied by a smaller frontal area figure. The CdA figure I can find for the Audi A2 (not 1.2) is 0.616m² http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automobile_drag_coefficient

Last edited:
It's a shame the i3 Rex is such an expensive option. My views on it here:

http://bmwi3.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/an-aerospace-engineer-from-uk-compares.html

Thanks for the interesting review - clearly well researched and some valuable insights. No doubt in a few years BMW will be able to offer higher capacity batteries and reduce real world energy use, although once BEVs start to become benchmarked against a lab-based EU test, discussions about battery range are sure to become more protracted..

Just some points in relation to a couple of statements in the review:

"My guess is the battery in a REX will be in a far better state than that of a BEV after 3 years of similarly hard use."

- Seems unlikely to be significant, as the battery should never end up running to its minimum, since BMW states the usable capacity as 18.8 kWh (85% of 22kWh). Furthermore, the battery is warranted to 70 percent of original charge for 8 years/100,000 mile, so significant degradation after 3 years would be an abnormal trend. Other manufacturers are more conservative - e.g. the usable capacity of an Chevy Volt/Vauxhall Ampera is apparently only 65 percent of full charge!

"Greater aerodynamic efficiency (and hence lower battery consumption) could have been achieved by replacing the BMW X5 like wing mirrors with VW XL1 rear view cameras or at least more compact examples/"

- Makes sense from an engineering POV, however the EU have now mandated that mirrors are sized in proportion to the car (I've no idea of the exact formula, but looks to relate to the volume of the car), notable examples being the Suzuki Swift and Rolls-Royce Phantom.

Personally, I hope BMW adapt the platform to a smaller, lower electric roadster with lower weight and drag, however by putting all their efforts into a versatile family car they're more likely to have gained expertise which can be transferred to future models, and through the OEMs, to other manufacturers.

Back