mist in headlight - disconnect multiplug

C

cedritos

Have read a few threads here about how to get condensation out of a headlight; very useful. I managed to improve the situation using a hair drier (30mins) but now want to take the unit out of the car to let it dry out properly in the house. The multi plug connector has got me stuck! Is there a special technique to unplugging this?

Also, can you get new rubber seals (for the cap that allows access to the bulbs) from dealers? If not, I think I'll seal it with bathroom sealant and apply some vaseline to the edges.

Many Thanks

All Aud connectors have a barb /are barbed, you must release by pushig with fingers/tool. You will find this on one side of it.

Hi its not always the seal eg vaseline I tried this took the lens off the reflector . I think you will find when you pull the headlihgt out there are a series of wire catches. On mine (lots of condensation) the top two wires were loose. Reason was the plastic retaining lugs had broken.Faced with a scrapper or a repair I araldited some plastic pieces of the same size. 6 months on, of the three I repaired one failed the other two held up and condensation has gone.

Lastly dont want to dismiss the hairdryer but all you are doing is mobilising the water vapour away from the glass. The main objective is keeping it out in the first place.
Steve

Back