Monroe availability

delta

I’m in search of some new shocks for my TDi as I have a broken spring and a front suspension refresh in order as now over 130k since last replaced!
I replaced back then with Monroe reflex which I gather from the useful sources here are now OEspectrum
742042SP.
Was about to go ahead with an AUTODOC order I saved just yesterday and now out of stock!
Anybody know anywhere else these might be available?
Thanks

Front shock absorbers for standard ride height (not 1.2TDI)
8Z0413031AB
8Z0413031AD

Front shock absorbers for sports/lowered suspension (not 1.2TDI)
8Z0413031P
8Z0413031AC

It's a confusing picture with Monroe shocks. There's many different Monroe shock absorbers listed against the above OEM part numbers on autodoc, including incorrect listings of Monroe rear shock absorbers, and Monroe front shock absorbers that have undersize 20mm piston rod diameters and 30mm bores rather than the more normal 22mm piston rod diameters and 32mm bores.

If you've got standard ride height suspension (not 1.2TDI), I would take a look at either Bilstein B4 22-105813 or Sachs 300 032, as linked to below on autodoc.

Bilstein B4 22-105813 and Sachs 300 032 standard ride height front shock absorbers sold to replace 8Z0413031AB and 8Z0413031AD

Last edited:
Appreciated, I hadn’t noticed the diameter difference between the various Monroe’s.
It was the Reflex I was initially after as they do seem well controlled and maybe offer a bit more small compression compliance.
Only one supplier on eBay for Reflex’s (£130 front pair) and no OEspectrum’s seem to be in stock anywhere.

Good to hear some positive experience of Bistein B4’s.
What makes them favourable over the Monroe’s ( reflex or OEspectrum)?
Certainly the price today of under £90 front pair is appealing.

I’m probably going to go for the Suplex or Spidan springs.

My car is an non sport model but definitely sits a bit lower. Maybe they were sport height springs that Tony at A2cars fitted back then..
Time has made that call a bit fuzzy!

I’m probably going to go for the Suplex or Spidan springs.

There have been reports of Spidan and Suplex springs breaking prematurely. I suggest you look at other makes such as Sachs, KYB, Kilen/Lesjofors.

Broken Spidan spring

Last edited:
There have been reports of Spidan and Suplex springs breaking prematurely. I suggest you look at other makes such as Sachs, KYB, Kilen/Lesjofors.

Broken Spidan spring
Oh..!
Out of the above which are give the most compliant ride I wonder?

Out of the above which are give the most compliant ride I wonder?

Sachs, KYB, and Kilen/Lesjofors do a range of springs.

As you are likely to be choosing springs that closely match the original springs, the springs are all likely to have a similar stiffness whatever make you choose.

For comfort, it's best to choose springs and shock absorbers that are similar to the factory specification, but use 15" tyres rather than low profile 16" tyres for a more compliant ride.

Sachs 997 854 front springs matching OEM part number 8Z0411105AL would be suitable for the 1.4 diesel and 1.6 petrol models.

Sachs 997 854 front springs (for 1.4 diesel and 1.6 petrol, not for 1.2 diesel or 1.4 petrol)

Last edited:
Back