MOT at Southampton Audi

badlyread

A2OC Donor
Had my free MOT at Southampton Audi yesterday and it....... failed. My offside front velocity joint gaiter is split. To not have a retest I would have to leave the car there (no courtesy car was available) and part with £143.17 - 1.3 hrs work. Phoned Steve at Monks and he wants £60! She then asked what I was getting it done for to lower her price! No contest she decided. Cannot have a partial retest because of the offer. Do you think the tester is going to do the entire test again?

I had an old mk2 Golf that I had serviced at a Vauxhall stealership once (special offer again) and a gaiter had split and I was advised it would need replacing. I said no of course. Had a look myself and the gaiter was fine, it was just the outer covering that was coming away (stuff they spray on the underside of the car to protect it). I wonder if.......

Also advised that both rear coil springs are corroded. Well the car is 7 years old and a little rust is expected. And both rear parking brake cable outer casings are in poor condition (rusty?).

I will know more after Monday when I have had time to take a look and Steve has done his magic.

Regards

Neil

Seems to be a pattern....

MOT Failed at Wearside Audi yesterday.

Wiper blade not effective = £31 to replace
(cleaned and good as new)

ARB insecure
I have the old type ARB with replacement (Polo) bushes. The bushes are so tight there is no way there could be any movement.
Quoted £375 for replacement.

Has anyone else had an MOT failure with the replacement bushes?

I do think that I will need to change to the new style ARB long term anyway

- just wondering what the lifespan of replacement bushes seems to be?
(this might be a how long is a piece of string type question)

Had Audi said we recommend changing ARB then I would have gladly bought the parts from them, but I guess they have to make money back if they're offering free MOTs.

Pete

Just had my arb done at Brighton Audi after the free mot & the quote was £280 which included a brake light bulb.
After a bit of a haggle the price dropped to £220 for the arb swap then they stung me £20 to replace the brake light bulb.
They don`t do themselves any favours in the PR stakes do they.
So £240 all in for the mot,arb & brake light bulb,better than the initial quote but still a little steep.
I suppose someone has to pay for all those flash showrooms.

Back