MOT FAIL! :( Parts needed please…

MOI

A2OC Donor
Hello all. So my beloved just failed it’s MOT. I need to source the parts asap but am not sure of exactly what’s needed.

Could I ask you to have a look at the print out and suggest who might have what.

Thanks. Appreciated.

Attachments

• 99E5A0F8-15B1-4C11-AC17-D7839F98A66C.jpeg
    99E5A0F8-15B1-4C11-AC17-D7839F98A66C.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 112
Last edited:
That attachment isn't working. If you're happy posting your registration number, people can use the online MOT checker to advise?

Reactions: MOI
You need two front brake discs and possibly pads Mo.....

...and springs all round...

All are best replaced with new and in pairs.

You should be able to replace your windscreen through your insurance company and then consider front tyres ASAP and shock absorbers at some point from a safety aspect.

Cheers
Dave.

Last edited:
Brake discs euro car parts around £30 for the pair. Worth fitting new pads at the same time
Front and rear springs see if A2steve/ clackers etc have any second hand ones
If you do buy them new strongly recommend that you do both sides front and back
Insurance condor a windscreen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just got my windscreen done on insurance. Did I via the autoglass website. A really good all round service at about £115 cost to me, assuming Autoglass have an arrangement with your insurer (most).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Brake discs euro car parts around £30 for the pair. Worth fitting new pads at the same time
Front and rear springs see if A2steve/ clackers etc have any second hand ones
If you do buy them new strongly recommend that you do both sides front and back
Insurance condor a windscreen

Thanks for info @depronman. Hi@Clackers would you have the springs required here? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got my windscreen done on insurance. Did I via the autoglass website. A really good all round service at about £115 cost to me, assuming Autoglass have an arrangement with your insurer (most).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mine needs buffing because of mark left by collapsed wiper bracket. (Now replaced)

Mine needs buffing because of mark left by collapsed wiper bracket. (Now replaced)
Polishing can cost the same as a new screen or more. I had this recently on a 1980s Golf GTi, the glass was comparable in price to an A2 but the polishing still cost more. I went for polishing to retain the VAG branding on the glass.
You are not in the same position with an A2 and the wiper may have chipped the glass that can turn into a crack. A new screen is you best option.

Hello all. So my beloved just failed it’s MOT. I need to source the parts asap but am not sure of exactly what’s needed.

Could I ask you to have a look at the print out and suggest who might have what.

Thanks. Appreciated.

I’ve just had a loom in my workshop
I have a set of new brembo discs
I have a pair of tdi front springs from a 2002 A2
I think I have a rear spring but need to check as I had a spare pair but used one after tyre fitted jacked the car up so high it broke a spring (I was not overly pleased)

Let me know if your interested

Paul

The wording on some of those failure points seems a bit odd to me, never had a coil spring corrode like that and for a brake disc to be deemed in that condition it would have to be razor thin!!

Always replace the top mounts and bearings when doing the front springs

The trouble is once you start to replace failure parts, it can descend quickly into an expensive end game,
discs (plus pads plus front flexi pipes) . Front Springs (then we add top mounts and shocks whilst you have it apart drop links)
Rear springs (then we add shocks and almost certainly bottom mounts). It can get expensive. Good used parts are always an option but new OE it’s going to add up, and if you go to Audi it will be both arms and legs!

I'd suggest buying the more expensive discs. I've bought cheap ones before and they have warped. Same goes for pads too. There is a minor difference in price but aware the list of parts required adds up to a reasonable amount.

Mission creep has set in. After having read teh posts it seems I should really get the shocks don’t as well whilst the car is jacked and stripped.

So this is where we are up to. Not cheap is it? (+ Bosch discs available locally for £30)

Reasonable?

1702722121404.png

S

The trouble is once you start to replace failure parts, it can descend quickly into an expensive end game,
discs (plus pads plus front flexi pipes) . Front Springs (then we add top mounts and shocks whilst you have it apart drop links)
Rear springs (then we add shocks and almost certainly bottom mounts). It can get expensive. Good used parts are always an option but new OE it’s going to add up, and if you go to Audi it will be both arms and legs!
I’m just realising this. :/

Kyb stuff seems great and very well priced on ebay but the front tdi springs sit a touch high so you might prefer the 1.4 petrol ones.

Back