MOT failure

phil pk

Hi,

Today my A2 went to the garag for her MOT. she passed with flying colours, but failed on the engine emissions.

Idle rate was fine, but the 2500rpm level was around 0.49 instead of the 0.30 allowed.

They took her for a run, and cleaned the throttle body, but this did not make much difference.

They are now wanting to take her a longer run, and if needed change the pre cat lambda probe (Appologies for spelling).

If this does not work, they may try the spark plugs or engine timings, after that its the new catalytic converter.

She is mainly used to go to and from work, but often gets a run on motorways about once a month, or longer runs.

Any suggestions at all?

I don't know much about mechanics. But would doing the spark plugs and engine timings be cheaper than pre cat lambda probe? I would start doing the cheapest thing first and then work your way up. I may be wrong but we will see what others think.

If you could post up a scan results with fault codes that would be easier for the tec guys on here To give you detailed advice.

Cheers

David

When were the air filter and plugs changed, might be worth at least changing the air filter? Also try giving it a good long italian tune up running on a quality brand petrol.

She has always had Shell Optimax, so fuel should be good.

Having asked a mechanical friend, I will ask the garage to do air filter and sparks first then lamba probe thing. He thinks that should do the job. Afraid I do not have the codes, as they were never given to me - the fun of Audi garages!

Got some cataclean and going to give her a good run on the motorway before she makes a return trip on Monday. Now till then I'm motorway travelling as much as poss to give her a good blow through.

She has done 85k miles, but she should not need a new cat should she?

Back