Motorway cruising.

simufly

A2OC Donor
United-Kingdom
Straw pole.
For more relaxed motorway cruising,in France (75Tdi, un chipped ATM.)
what is the best option- longer 5th or 6speed box?
cost is obviously a factor but not an overriding one.
Thoughts please..

Evening Simon,

I can speak from both ends of your question Sir and agree it probably comes down to cost.

First up Project OEM is a remapped TDI AMF which has a MYP 6-speed gearbox. The throw pattern is remarkably shorter but a great ‘box for economy. I’m my instance I secured the MYP ‘box for £250 and had it prepared, serviced and installed at WOM Automotive for about the same price it cost to purchase; so just under £500 for the upgrade.

The even cheaper end of the spectrum is Project EUD, again a remapped TDI AMF. This particular vehicle has the JDD which is just as economical in 5th as the MYP in 6th. Some people suggest that the JDD has too many gaps between the gears but it’s nothing you don’t get used to after a day or two. I would have liked to go for another MYP in this car but with it being a Mk20 ABS equipped generation vehicle it attracted further installation costs. The JDD ‘box I grabbed in the end was from a low mileage Seat and only cost £100. Adding the new oil, seal and installation at £80 see it come to £180 all in.

Depending on your desire of having a novelty 6th gear, the JDD for me was a lot cheaper and just as usable. Some say the gaps are too big between the gears. On the flip side other say the MYP has too many gears and your always changing. It’s really down to how you drive and how much you want to afford. As it’s six of one and half a dozen of the other then I would set up a search for both and pounce on the first bargain, thus letting fate decide for you.

Kind regards,

Tom

Last edited:
Ok it seem that a remap needs to installed to make proper use of eithe option
So next question, which remap?

Ok it seem that a remap needs to installed to make proper use of eithe option
So next question, which remap?
Hi Simon,

Let’s try to keep any such discussion regards mapping within the guidance published by the Admin Team a while a go. I’m sure members will be more than happy to send you a PM about which option they went for and why they went for what they did, be it cost or being specific to their engines.

Kind regards,

Tom

Assuming you go for a reasonably modest map, and most of what you're doing is motorways and/or fairly flat terrain, you should get on fine with either 'box, the top ratios are very similar. If a larger proportion of your driving will be in the hills, you'll find the 6-speed easier, since it's pretty much the standard 5-speed ratios plus the long cruising gear. Conversely, when A2OC did the Skye social in 2019, the owner of Erling's JDD-equipped car at that time was the only one who didn't enjoy all the driving so much, because he was constantly having to change gear.

For a road trip to Sweden in 2010 I went for a remap + longer 5th. On return to UK I was working and tending to do long distance trips so the 5th gear was fine. And I was getting 61 mpg with lots of high speed motorway driving.

But since retiring and covid my trips have been much more local and I hardly use 5th due to type of roads or lots of traffic. As soon as I'm in 5th I have to change down again. It's fine for those occasional long trips on motorway or mostly dual carriageways. So I would say, think about the type of driving you will do on return.

Straw pole.
For more relaxed motorway cruising,in France (75Tdi, un chipped ATM.)
what is the best option- longer 5th or 6speed box?
cost is obviously a factor but not an overriding one.
Thoughts please..
I drove from calais to colliore in one trip in August in my 90 and found it was very happy in stock 5th at 81mph. I know it revs a little lower than a 75 but I don't think it would make a big difference, maybe a MYP would make it a little more quite!

Morning Simon,

Seems eBay is leaning towards the MYP going off their current offerings but the choice is entirely yours Sir.

Here’s the cheapest 6 speed gearbox currently available, no mention of mileage:

£250 (with best offer) MYP Gearbox

IMG_7762.jpeg

Here’s the cheapest JDD gearbox that is currently available, again no mention of mileage:

£200 (with best offer option) JDD Gearbox

IMG_7763.jpeg

The gamble MYP gearbox is priced the same as mine when I purchased it a couple of years ago. The JDD gearbox is highly priced but maybe a cheeky offer might help. Whichever option you eventually go for will indeed respond better with a remap to assist. Should you go for the JDD option then I’m sure Paul @depronman has fitted a few of these and might be able to assist. He could probably assist with a couple of other things whilst you’re in his presence.

Kind regards,

Tom

If you’re getting it mapped then if you can find one, the PTW has marginally longer gears. @Robin_Cox runs one on his mapped 75 and regularly drives the length of the country in it.

If you’re getting it mapped then if you can find one, the PTW has marginally longer gears. @Robin_Cox runs one on his mapped 75 and regularly drives the length of the country in it.
True. Cruise control is also key to reduction of fatigue in the longer trips. One thing worth noting is that with the PTW you effectively get two longer motorway-speed gears - 5th is slightly taller than the 75 gearbox (nearly as high as that in the Tdi90 compared to the original GPK 5th) ; 6th is longer than that in MYP. Economy is about the same in both. Which I use depends on the terrain and the driving conditions and the consequent average speed. Most of the country-length journey will be in 6th as I do the long drive overnight with minimal traffic. However - I often will do certain portions of the journey in 5th such as the approach to Glasgow and then heading southwards on the M74 ; likewise approaching and leaving Bristol. Slightly lower average speed, hillier terrain, more traffic, and so on. The key aim is to keep the engine at a sweet spot around 2200rpm.

Thanks for all the replies. Keep the advice coming please!
ATM I am favouring the JDD box and a mild remap!

I drove from calais to colliore in one trip in August in my 90 and found it was very happy in stock 5th at 81mph. I know it revs a little lower than a 75 but I don't think it would make a big difference, maybe a MYP would make it a little more quite!
Indeed, it does, but in my case this is offset by the wind noise coming from my OSS (I am guessing a few rubbers strips are starting to show their age) :(

The key aim is to keep the engine at a sweet spot around 2200rpm.
Exactly this. 2200rpm is peak torque on a TDI75 - at least, unmapped. The map will broaden the torque curve to an extent, but I sit at 60mph on cruise on the motorway at those revs in my (mapped) OEM 5-speed because the engine is so quiet there, plus it'll easily accelerate to change lanes for overtaking the lorries, and hold that speed up any incline I've yet come across.

I think Audi probably put a fair bit of research into the best gear ratio's for each model. With this in mind there are bound to be drawbacks to choosing different gear ratio's than stock. Having said that I recognise that if chipped then slightly taller ratio's could be appropriate (maybe putting a 90 gearbox in a 75 as Audi did).

So my considered answer to the original question is to fit an MYP. This gives you the best of both worlds without and negatives. You get very close to the original ratio's in the first 5 gears, as Audi intended, and then an extra cruising gear. Audi might well have used the MYP in the A2 had it been available.

An added bonus to keeping the original 5 ratio's in a chipped car is that it will not "dumb down" the extra power and the extra torque will pull sixth on the motorway quite happily and economically. I think I would only consider a PTW in a chipped TDI90.

Full disclosure: Yes I have put MYP's in two of my TDI90's (unchipped) and I think they are perfect.

I'm sure you know but just in case.....6th in an MYP sits at about 2200rpm at 130kph (stock 16" tyres), the legal limit on the Autoroute.

If it’s at all hilly you’ll regret a JDD, if it’s flat it’ll be fine. For a 75 I find the PTW a little too highly geared but it’s ideal with an MYP. It will need mapped for any higher gearing.

Do you need to change the starter when fitting an MYP ?
On both my tdi 75 6-speed conversions (PTW and NTG which is to all intents and purposes an MYP) I swapped over to the start-stop starter off something like a Q3 or the equivalent Seat. A pokier starter than the original and the pinion fits the flywheel properly. From memory they are often described as CAYC starters or something similar when you are looking for them. The connector needed to be swapped over as they use a different plug to the original if I remember correctly.

Back