Moving Rear Axle!!

tdiman

Past Member
I would just like to report to the forum that following my accident repair last year when I was used as a braking device by a school caretaker whilst stopped at a school crossing which resulted in an entire new rear axle, wheels & tyres; that my rear drivers side wheel was rubbing the wheel housing when 4 people were in my car.
I took it back after I had looked at it and found the wheels were 5mm nearer the offside than nearside, they stuck it up on a lift and showed me the rear axle fixings (4 bolts) and you could see where they had moved across.
That explained the greasy weasel handling after the tracking was reset.
To be fair to SKF body shop they took it back and reset it all FOC, handles brilliant again.
So if you are thinking of changing any of your wheel / tyre / offset combunations be aware there is very little tolerance on the rear!

Which SKF bodyshop would that be Mike - Audenshawe or Stockport? Mine's about to go in for a small repair to Audenshawe - doesn't fill me with confidence!

Mike,
Affraid it was the Audenshaw body shop, I think it was set correct to begin with but I'd never been happy with the way it handled after the repair and had it back 2 or 3 times before they realised they had fitted the wrong damper! I told them it was riding higher on the drivers side but they just said it's because your not on perfectly level ground, that wouldn't account for the fact of a 10mm difference arch to ground measurement when in my garage which you would expect to be reasonably flat.

Back