My boss thinks my A2 is a....

Adrian888

A2OC Donor
...shed! As I was leaving the office on Friday his comment went along the lines of' when are you going to change that thing?'! As I pointed out to him £35 road tax and almost 60mpg is very appealing at the moment. He drives an M3 and 911.....Two of my co-directors have just changed their cars each spending @ £35k..... Neither have just gone thru' a costly divorce and certainly have more disposable income than me ( 45% of my take home pay now goes in mortgage payments) . A year ago I had no mortgage and two very nice cars ( A6 Avant and almost new 9-3 Cabrio) and would love to have a weekend 'toy' or a new A3 or why? This afternoon I have a meeting to negotiate next years salary package.......

Some people just do not live in the real world.....

Peev him off and buy an 04/05 instead.
Money and Twits go together some days,snobbery isnt dead sadly.:cool:
oh and tell him his wage doesnt get you as far as it it used to: :D

Compared to an M3 or 911, yes the A2 is a shed.

And the point they are making is?

A measure of a person is money you earn, or money you spend on a car?

Its a shame that people feel like that. I couldn't give a sh.. what people think, its a car with a wheel at each corner, a nice one though :)

Last edited by a moderator:
...shed! As I was leaving the office on Friday his comment went along the lines of' when are you going to change that thing?'! As I pointed out to him £35 road tax and almost 60mpg is very appealing at the moment. He drives an M3 and 911.....Two of my co-directors have just changed their cars each spending @ £35k..... Neither have just gone thru' a costly divorce and certainly have more disposable income than me ( 45% of my take home pay now goes in mortgage payments) . A year ago I had no mortgage and two very nice cars ( A6 Avant and almost new 9-3 Cabrio) and would love to have a weekend 'toy' or a new A3 or why? This afternoon I have a meeting to negotiate next years salary package.......

Some people just do not live in the real world.....

It is not just about money, I know a guy who downsized his property to buy a F355. Another geeky young chap living with his mom but owns a Murcielargo. Another single chap renting but owns a 996 GT3 and frequent track days. It is how do you want to spend your money.

I think the best response to your boss's question would be along the lines of "what do you suggest I change it to? I want low tax, high mpg with practicality ..." Equally, ask your boss, "have you taken the M3 (assume E92) to a track yet? How were the brakes? Were they cooked in a few laps, weren't they?" or "How's the 911, did you get the Rear Main Seal fixed?" ;-)

You could say "I'll change it if you give me the pay rise"... (then keep the A2, ah ha)!

The reality is i haven't a clue what I would actually buy IF i was minded to change. Unless there was 0% finance avilable buying new is out of the question, just had enough of new car depreciation. Secondhand? About the only cars that meet all my criteria and remotely appeal are the 118D or MINI Clubman D and used they are like hens teeth.

At the moment VAG do not really produce anything that compares with either. If I ignore the cheap RFL then possibly an A3 Sportback with the 170 TDi/DSG/S line etc might do the trick. Maybe an Alfa 159 Sportwagen 2.4JTD, Octavia TDi VRs Estate or for something completely different a Cadillac BST estate TTiD 180. BUT as a replacement for an A2....?

I think I will end up with 2 cars, possibly a TT Roadster/Boxster/A4 cabrio/MX5/9-3 Cabrio/944/968.....they all appeal in different ways!

BTW, the negotiations went quite well...;)

I looked at the 170 DSG and quattro before I opted for my A3 140Tdi Sportback. The DSG is a great toy, but after playing with the paddles for a while the novelty wore off and it seems an expensive auto thereafter. The 170 engine also has a pronounced flat spot that isnt present in the 140, so if you fancy an A3 - I'd highly recommend the 2.0Tdi 140 S line and you can remap to 200bhp if youre that way inclined ;)

Crikey, is the A2 a shed????......I have had mine a short while now and had a few strange, ill informed comments, when the weather has been clement I have been driving my Morgan with the roof off, I also find driving an extreme 911 normally keeps the regular 911/M3 crowd quiet...I really wouldn't worry about such comments......he probably has it on finance anyhow! :D

I past both a 911 and an M3 doing a lap of the Nurburgring last weekend:D and still returned over 45mpg from that weekend.

I do like nice cars and if I didn't have other demands on my income I would almost certainly have kept my T8 for its amazing combination of performance/economy/drivability and A6 Avant for dog carrying purposes and relative luxury. My 'ex' had an A3 TDi 140 in SE trim and it was a very nice car. Any way I am looking at a TT tomorrow morning and have a Boxster and a 944 lined up for viewing!

To which your response should have been:

'When I feel the need to compensate for something'

No apologies needed for an A2, as Maxi Jazz said 'You don't need eyes to see; you need vision'

Thats the best response so far, Classic line

Originally Posted by ULP
To which your response should have been:

'When I feel the need to compensate for something'

ROFL! I agree. My girlfriend is very happy.......;)

Back