Finally got my new black Sports interior fitted. Only downside is I don't have the wiring loom for electric lumber adjustment, as my old seats were bog standard SE seats.
The seats came courtesy of @Brennybear, thanks Brendan. The drivers bolster was cracked and collapsed so I cut the broken part off with an electric carving knife and cut a bolster off one of my old seats and stuck it in place. I then swapped both seat bases over. Being Sports seats they aren't identical, having a slight cut out for the centre console. But they don't really touch anyway.
The hardest part is, as mentioned in other threads, is removing the 2 rear pivot bolts from the seat bases. 3 of 4 came out fine, and the 2 from my old seats also. But, 1 was clearly held in too tightly with Locktite. Enter a world of grief.
They aren't nuts, just threaded brass tubes embedded in plastic and it turned inside the plastic. There is no alternative but to attack the plastic and destroy the seat base. Because of the seat mechanism a Dremel won't fit it. So wood drill bits were used to remove most of the plastic, then a wood chisel, just so a pair of Mole grips could be employed. Eventually, what seemed like hours later, it came loose.

IMG_20230501_151436460.jpg

IMG_20230501_160158851.jpg

But anyway, it was worth the effort as the interior has been transformed.

From this- ....
IMG_20230310_155255039.jpg
IMG_20230310_155240578.jpg

To this-
IMG_20230502_190508225.jpg
IMG_20230502_190419212.jpg

The repaired bolster on the drivers seat base, now on the passenger side.
IMG_20230502_175831911.jpg
IMG_20230502_180542657.jpg

Last edited:
Nice one Al , looks like it always should have done, I’m sure I’ll regret having leather in mine come the winter, get the loom done for the lumbar support or ask Timmus if he can make you one and send it
All the best Brennybear

Nice one Al , looks like it always should have done, I’m sure I’ll regret having leather in mine come the winter, get the loom done for the lumbar support or ask Timmus if he can make you one and send it
All the best Brennybear
Thanks Brendan, I might just do that too.

Morning Al,

You’ve done a great job there with the foam, having a dark interior looks so much better; but maybe I’m biased.

If you want to have a go at wiring up the Lumbar Support yourself then have a read of this thread:

DC1C7435-FE9F-425D-980A-77BFA884976C.jpeg

3B251D02-A3C1-4D0A-8561-B49045066202.jpeg

8752E05C-8787-4201-B102-6005B7BE5849.jpeg

The the circuit is a 2x 1mm wire operation. The correct protection is a 10A fuse which it’s carrier clips onto the existing relay carrier near the base of the passenger A pillar. Here’s a picture which should help:

C583A9D2-291F-45DE-BBE2-DD0D7D87859E.jpeg

As discussed above, the power-in to the 10A fuse can be taken from the a few points within the vicinity of the passengers feet. The link above mentions tapping onto the thick red wire which you should also be able to identify (top left to the centre of the picture).

The red connector can be easily obtained from a few vehicles manufactured the same era as the A2. I might even have some spare on the garage with a lumbar retrofit kit I’m yet to sell.

To make this retrofit look factory as possible you’ll need to obtain the fuse holder which anyone who is breaking a Sport model will be able to provide.

Good luck with this and I’m here to answer any questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Tom

While I'd always go for the proper wiring as a permanent solution, to make an initial adjustment to the lumbar, you can simply run temporary wires from the battery terminals to touch (with a little care) to the two pins in the red connector under the seat. TBH once set, you'll probably never want to change it. Always on maximum for me, even with Sport seats.

While I'd always go for the proper wiring as a permanent solution, to make an initial adjustment to the lumbar, you can simply run temporary wires from the battery terminals to touch (with a little care) to the two pins in the red connector under the seat. TBH once set, you'll probably never want to change it. Always on maximum for me, even with Sport seats.
Very true Ian,

I honestly cannot remember when I last altered the lumbar support positioning. Your method certainly saves a couple of hours tinkering Sir.

Kind regards,

Tom

Sounds like a easy way to get things all set up.

Back