My Stealth Experience

true-blue

Good evening :D

Arrived nice and early after getting up at 5.30am and cruising along the M5, M42 and M40 - slowish drive (60 - 70) as I tend to drive slower when tired. DIS said 62mpg average for the trip.

On the drive back at 80-90 (and some faster blats!) 57.8mpg per DIS, not bad at all after my much faster drive home, and the fact that I had the car running in the services for about ten minutes with the heater on.

pre-map figures were 78.3 bhp at 3673rpm and torque 164.4 at 2354 rpm

Post-map figures are 101.7 bhp at 3149 and torque 208.1 at 2218 rpm

Vince thinks that my power figure is being held back by a very dirty air filter as the car struggled to maintain power to the redline - on the basis that no fault codes were identified and all else was well. He didn't have one in stock unfortuntely, so we couldn't change it.

It doesn't drop away rapidly or anything, but the graph indicates a potential breathing issue at the high end of the RPM scale. I thought about changing the air filter before today but didn't find the time. Good news though is that a new air filter should make the car better still, maybe another 6/7 bhp and hold the power a bit longer.

In terms of the new driving experience, the car feels much more flexible throughout the rev range and the motorway performance, particularly between 70 and 100(+) in 5th gear is massively improved. I think the relatively low weight and the slippery aerodynamics of the car really help at these speeds, which is why a 'relatively' modest increase in torque makes such a hell of a difference on the road.

I don't want to give anyone thinking about having this done unrealistic expectations, this won't turn your little beastie into a 'Type R baiter' from a standing start - I would guestimate a second, maybe more off the 0 - 60 time though. What it will do is transform the car big time in terms of 'in gear' acceleration, particularly at motorway speeds. It also makes the engine much more flexible - all in all thoroughly recommended, and an absolute bargain at £225 +vat.

Obviously, loads of peeps on here been stealthed already, but just wanted to add my honest thoughts for those thinking about it - DO IT !

Big thank you to Vince and his crew !!!

Although my remap wasn't done by stealth i would agree with everything about the benefits! Its nice to be able to pull away from 3 series t*ssers :p who sit on your bumper thinking you are holding them up:rolleyes:

Yes, the transformation from 70mph up is amazing, like a completely different car - just floor it and go :D

Also, my car seems much less smokey now under full throttle, which I think is very unusual as it tends to be the other way around - but a great bonus for me!

Yes, the transformation from 70mph up is amazing, like a completely different car - just floor it and go :D

Also, my car seems much less smokey now under full throttle, which I think is very unusual as it tends to be the other way around - but a great bonus for me!

And to think it was only a week ago you had a dilemma whether to sell it or not... i would say you made the right decision :)

Went to blockbusters to take some Blu Rays back earlier, had the chance to try the car on local roads I'm familiar with. It's suprisingly punchy and I think I may have underestimated the outright acceleration a bit on the wide empty A roads near Stealth. It actually feels quick on the roads I'm used to driving it on.

Got the A2 bug now, definitely going to use the car myself, hope to sort the brakes over the weekend. I always enjoyed driving it before, felt special even when lacking in power, but now I'm hooked:D

In fact, I'm now wondering what difference a nice performance cat and exhaust system would make. I'm also thinking about a wheel upgrade, but with the specific aim of reducing weight. Something like 'Rota slipstreams' which are extremely light but very strong if I remember from my Integra days.

Also thinking about cruise control, which would be very handy with the amount of motorway driving I do with my Job. FSD's would be nice too:cool:

Think i'm going to be spending some money on this now:rolleyes:

Well, you know where to come for cruise control and as for the exhaust and cat (de-cat more like for a diesel), why not kill 2 birds with one stone and experience Tank, my A2 which is de-catted and has a custom 2.5" stainless exhaust, as well as a K&N filter. OK, it was a 90 from the factory, but it'll give you an idea of just what is possible.

Oh, and I have FSDs too!

Cheers,

Mike

I may take you up on that offer Mike, Perhaps if you could pm me with the cost for fitting cruise.

If you were a bit nearer I'd be round like a shot, I'm down in bristol.

The only issue I have with De-cat is annual mot time, can't be messing around with the exhaust every year.

Last edited:
You have a diesel car - so you don't have a cat as such, it is more a particulate filter and is completely un-necessary for MOT passing - I've had 2 straight passes now with no 'cat' in place!

I'll PM you shortly.

Cheers,

Mike

PS Look for the 'Skipton Cruise' in members' signatures for testimonies of my work if needed.

Blimey, every day's a school day, I never knew that diesels didn't need a cat! that changes things, and makes a new pipe a significantly cheaper prospect :D

I may take you up on that offer Mike, Perhaps if you could pm me with the cost for fitting cruise.

If you were a bit nearer I'd be round like a shot, I'm down in bristol.

If you could wait 8 months and you went to ADI this year you could get Mike to Fit it there, just a thought

Cheers Phil

PS i did say you would be impressed

Not needing a cat isn't strictly true for all diesels, but for out little 3-pot, 1.4 litre jobbies, it's un-necessary to meet current legislation.

My exhaust was made with a removeable section so that if the law is tightened up in the future, I can slip the old one back in place.

Cheers

Mike

How would you fit the cat back in though, surely it won't be the same bore as your free flow system ?

would you just use pipe reducers and swap it every year for the mot ?

Yes, if legislation changed you'd just put a reducer section on either end and slot it back in.

However, as smoke is the only measure on an MOT, there will never be a problem, as long as your engine is in good order.

I'm not convinced that it is a DOC Chris, but even if it is, it's unnecessary at the moment in the UK.

Cheers

Mike

Audi A2 Diesel cat is an oxidising one as far as I know - it helps reduce the soot output and cut the carbon monoxide emmissions. Does the A2 have a particulate filter/trap system as well? I know it has exhaust gas recirculation (EGR).

Great to hear that the A2 tdi can, at present, comply with MoT emissions requirements. However, does the removal of the CAT result in CO2 emissions going above 119gms per km? If so, wouldn't this screw our entitlement to £35 per year road tax - a major benefit of A2 tdi ownership?:confused:

I doubt it - the CAT is unlikely to reduce the amount of CO2 emmitted, I would say probably increases it slightly if anything due to the increase in back-pressure on the exhaust system reducing combustion efficiency (and increasing fuel consumption), but also by potentially catalysing the oxidation of carbon monoxide to carbon dioxide!

Also, at the MOT, they don't (yet) link your emmissions results directly to your VED payment. I suspect they could - that would allow them to increase the tax on poorly serviced cars that are actually on the road in real life, rather than waht the manufacturers claim they produce, but we wouldn't want that now would we...

Don't put ideas in GB's head! VED is complicated enough as it is!

I can recommend FSD's and a brake upgrade to compliment the remap having done it myself. Unfortunately now redundant I cannot afford to go down the de-cat route.

How much would an FSD upgrade cost incidentally?
Just shocks
Shocks and new springs

(just in case)

I doubt it - the CAT is unlikely to reduce the amount of CO2 emmitted, I would say probably increases it slightly if anything due to the increase in back-pressure on the exhaust system reducing combustion efficiency (and increasing fuel consumption), but also by potentially catalysing the oxidation of carbon monoxide to carbon dioxide!

An oxidizing CAT must, by definition, actually increase the level of CO2 in the exhaust. Some (but not all) of the carbon particulates are oxidized to CO2 as well as much of the carbon monoxide emissions. So the removal of the CAT will make the exhaust a bit more "dirty", but actually less CO2. ;)

Back