Mystery noise

Damian Bond

A2OC Donor
Hello everyone I have a 2002 75 TDI Sport which I’ve had for a few days and loving it. However after my second ride out of ownership I have a noise coming from the front of the car that sounds possibly like some sort of bearing or something loose? It makes the thudding noise by tapping the accelerator gently, lifting the clutch up, pulling away normally, sometimes even out of gear switching the engine off… I’ll attach a link to a video link of the noise. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

That is odd! If the engine rocking on tick over as mine was it could be the dogbone mount as mine was cured by replacing it, although mine didnt make that thud jsut rocked around, but yours could be in a ruined state and what you hear is the knocking of metals. It would do the thud decelarting tho as well, in gear on the road, have you witnessed that?
Maybe its something on the intake side as sounds like air in a tube on the video, like air popping free, hard to say. Make sure you come back and let us all know. we love a solution.

That is odd! If the engine rocking on tick over as mine was it could be the dogbone mount as mine was cured by replacing it, although mine didnt make that thud jsut rocked around, but yours could be in a ruined state and what you hear is the knocking of metals. It would do the thud decelarting tho as well, in gear on the road, have you witnessed that?
Maybe its something on the intake side as sounds like air in a tube on the video, like air popping free, hard to say. Make sure you come back and let us all know. we love a solution.
I have noticed it decelerating too. I’ll check it out today but I doubt it’s something I could fix if it is the dog bone mount. I’ll probably take it to the garage a relay what you said. The cars in good shape really even with 140000 on the clock. I’ll let you know thank you for the reply.

had a look at the EGR valve and one of the hose is caped in old and new oil. Definitely seems like the mooing is EGR related! Also found out I’m spluttering out oil from the exhaust! Does this sound like a turbo problem?

Attachments

• 8AE75394-82EB-4297-B85A-E447EF388E38.jpeg
    8AE75394-82EB-4297-B85A-E447EF388E38.jpeg
    749.7 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
had a look at the EGR valve and one of the hose is caped in old and new oil. Definitely seems like the mooing is EGR related! Also found out I’m spluttering out oil from the exhaust! Does this sound like a turbo problem?
Hi Damian,
Has it been overfilled with oil?

Is the dipstick complete or has the end snapped off?

Have you drained the oil & how much came out?

The answers to these may help
diagnosis.
Hope that helps
Keith.

Hi Damian,
Has it been overfilled with oil?

Is the dipstick complete or has the end snapped off?

Have you drained the oil & how much came out?

The answers to these may help
diagnosis.
Hope that helps
Keith.
Morning Keith, the oil is over filled I think and the end of the dip stick has broken. Do you think that could have something to do with it? Also the turbo is still feels like it’s working perfectly.

Last edited:
Morning Keith, the oil is over filled I think and the end of the dip stick has broken. Do you think that could have something to do with it? Also the turbo is still feels like it’s working perfectly.
Take a photo of the dipstick end & post here, it’s imperative to the longevity of the engine not to run it with excessively high levels .
Hi Damian,
My advice would be to drain the oil & refill with the correct grade/ quantity after fitting a fresh oil filter so you know exactly how much is in the engine.
3D printed Dipstick ends are available from
@depronman to replace the broken end you currently have.

Hopefully that will help
Keith.

Take a photo of the dipstick end & post here, it’s imperative to the longevity of the engine not to run it with excessively high levels .
Hi Damian,
My advice would be to drain the oil & refill with the correct grade/ quantity after fitting a fresh oil filter so you know exactly how much is in the engine.

Hopefully that will help
Keith.
Hi Damian,

Hopefully that will help
Keith.
Thank you Kieth. Do you think the high oil level will snap the dipstick?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 97
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 93
Thank you Kieth. Do you think the high oil level will snap the dipstick?
Damien,
The oil must be no higher than the small xxx in the end of the plastic section as this is the top end of the measurement (max)

Mine broke in exactly the same place during the mot!

So you must wipe the end of the dipstick to clean it & replace it to get a reading whilst the car is sat on level ground with the engine off for 15 mins to get a true picture of the level.

They break like that through
Heat, old age (20yrs) & twisting whilst reinserting the stick.
The plastic end will have in all probability have dropped to the bottom of the sump.

Keith
B641AA08-B137-4A91-ABBA-6C568B2EAC1F.jpeg

Back