Need some advise please

Kaismummy

Hi Guys
A light has appeared on my dashboard and it makes a loud noise when i start the engine the sign looks a little like this (O) :confused:

I know it is a bit of a girly question but i want to know what it is for and what i need to do to fix it (well not me to fix it obviously thats the husbands job :D)

Thanks
Cheryl

It's a brake-related fault light, chances are that it's flagging up a brake wear indication.

Visually check the brake pads and change if necessary, but if you do change the front pads, do the discs at the same time.

Cheers,

Mike

Hi Skipton

When i bought the car in July they said they had just replaced the brake pads on the front so could it be just the disks?

Is the car still safe to drive? I havent noticed any lack of braking power? ( I know that was another girly question sorry :D)

Cheryl

Hi Cheryl
The warning light could also indicate a low brake fluid level. If it's not this or worn pads as Skipton suggested then it could a faulty connection on the brake pad wear indicator wiring (this could have been damaged when the pads were changed)
Worn discs would not cause the light to come on.
If the brake fluid level and brake pads are ok and there are no nasty grinding noises when braking then its probably ok to drive (gently) but that is a judgement only you and your husband can make.
If you are close to anyone with VagCom then a diagnostic check may help to pinpoint the problem.

Cheers Spike

I totally agree with Spike (as usual!) - if you've been over any potholes recently on the nearside, then it is possible to cause a breakage in the pad wear indicator, this happened to me about 4 months ago.

If you want to pop over again for a scan, feel free.

Cheers,

Mike

Back