New A2 Concept Photos

I too love the look. Much more modern but I have to be convinced yet about electric concept cars:)

I think the front overall and grill needs a bit more work.

The interior not really practical, the seats don't look very padded and the floor pedals are massive!

No one is going to steal it as there is no door handles!

Darren

That is what the brake pedal in the smart car is like, you kind of push it away and down. very strange sensation!! one of the quirks of the car

Chris

Thanks for the link to these hi res renderings, I'm feeling more comfortable than seeing the earlier hand drawn ones. Observed a few things, I probably shouldn't take these renderings too seriously, but anyhow...

- Style-wise, definitely looks like a larger A1. The proportion reminds me of an A2 except without the sloping rear glass hatch and spoiler
- Retained the unpainted lower plastic sills. (reason why I wanted my A2 in dark colour)
- Less pronounced wheel arches, now in unpainted plastic
- the A pillar meets the bonnet like ours, it looks like the door windows are frameless
- Full length side light cluster doesn't look as chavy as I imagined from the hand drawings. I kind of like this now :)
- It is rendered with GoodYear ECO Grip tyres, i think. Good detail there.
- No rear diffuser to reduce drag?
- Some sort of zip pocket by the driver's door?
- I'm sure interior will be nothing like that in production car. Though I've always felt A2 seats are far too heavy, concept seems to use lighter weighte stuff.

Overall i like it but i feel they could have done a better job on the rear end of the car. It looks like any normal hatchback from the rear, the original a2 was unique in that area. The interior in this concept is great however, hope it makes it to production.

Not bad, a couple more inches on the roofline and it could be our favourite car. Not sure I like the foot/handbrake arrangement but prob wont make it to production. Also the seats look great but I bet they are hard. Nice to see a bit of storage space. even if its already full. Hope theres somewhere for all the junk we normally carry in our cars. Looks to be production ready. Now how wide is it ? Will it go in my stupid garage. If mine wont fit (hopefully cleared by w'end) then it's goodby A2 according to the housing committee (leasehold townhouse) Colin

Last edited:
What are the little dangly bits you can see in the front door cards next to the lower door speakers?

Interestingly in the accompaning article on Auto Express, they talk about how the new A2 will also still feature traditional powertrain versions with petrol and diesel engines, as well as a hybrid and a full electric version.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/272194/audi_a2_official_pictures.html

Again according to the article it is a similar overall physical dimensions to the A1, which seems a little strange.

Can't wait to see a real one!

indeed, can't wait to see it from the motor show now! Audi hasn't said anything about the drivetrain yet. Autocar is saying something different so it is just noise and rumours.

The dimension is fine, 3.8 L x 1.69 W x 1.49 H is shorter, narrower but taller than A1. But not by much in any direction. In comparison to our current A2, those dimensions are almost spot on, 3826 x 1673 x 1553. Slightly wider and also less wheel arch may mean wider rear passenger space. Keep that dimension, I love the narrow A2, I don't slow down when getting through width restrictions zones armed with steel bollards 6' apart!

Of course this is just the concept car, so the real production version may be very different. I'm sure that the fly-by-wire would not be in the production car, for a start.

According to these guys, the new A2 is an aluminium and carbon composite chassis, weighing in at 1100kg, and they're claiming 125 miles range on the battery electric version.

It is indeed reported at multiple sources. May be Audi is using what ever Lambo was experimenting in low volume machine manufactured CF components and take it to mass production? It sure beats a hand layered CF tub but who knows what's in store. May be Audi will have another set of patents while making the new A2, just like they did with our A2 for a bunch of patents on Al manufacturing processes.

Whatever the dangly things are Dan, it also has them in the back. I can see them being knocked off within a week, especially by the other half. Prob internal locks as it dosn't have anything on the door top. Those seats look very very hard. Colin

Hi dan_b

The Winding Road review is certainly the best and most comprehensive, thank you.

They say the bonnet is permanently bolted to the body and the hatch serves functions similar to ours, excepting it's also where the 'fuel' goes in. I like the 0-60 time of 9.3 seconds, the speed limit of 93.21 mph, the 1.5 hour charge time on 400v, the bright, intelligent LED headlights, the ultra-light interior including the seats that look a lot like the slim modern Swedish office chairs and the switchable glass roof.

If Audi make this as shown and specified, it will wipe the floor with the opposition. All the rest, the Leaf, MiEV, BMW Active E, will suddenly look very old fashioned.

Hugh

Back