New Car Suggestions?

manhattan$

Past Member
Hi,
My wife has just been offered a new job that requires her to have a 'reliable' car and i am looking for suggestions for her.

She has a 2001 VW Beetle that is ok, but for this position she will need something new and trustworthy, especially as in the new job she will be nursing people in their own homes that have Cancer.

The plan was to sell her Beetle and give her the FSI project, but as it needs a little tlc, i think the best option is for her to take the company car option. The FSI i will keep.

Now she hasn't been driving that long (1 year) so she would like something that is low to insure, is of a decent build quality, good mpg return and is relatively small, but has room for her work bags, shopping and preferably a 5 door car.

Satnav and aircon as options, although she can use her iPhone as a satnav if needed.

We have been to a few dealers to see which she prefers, so would like some suggestions on what to go and take a look at.

She will be stuck with this car for two years, so i want to make sure she chooses the right option

The ones we have looked at are...

1.0 VW UP! Move Up
Peugeot 108
New Clio
Nissan Juke 1.2
New Toyota Aygo
New Citroen C1
Peugeot 208

Next cars to look at are...

New Fiesta
New Corsa

What else would you suggest?

Have you thought of a Smart car? Don't laugh, some of the carers that visit our neighbour in the retirement flats have a smart car (easy to park, reliable and fun!!!)

But if I had a choice and if it would work and come into budget I would absolutely LOVE an i3 BMW, they are so quirky and so like the A2 in many ways?

Probably not suitable but a nice idea?

Steve B

Have you thought of a Smart car? Don't laugh, some of the carers that visit our neighbour in the retirement flats have a smart car (easy to park, reliable and fun!!!)

But if I had a choice and if it would work and come into budget I would absolutely LOVE an i3 BMW, they are so quirky and so like the A2 in many ways?

Steve B

Seriously looked at the i3 but it just isn't in any way practical for me. The range is low unless you get the one with the petrol range extender and even then you only get a 2 gallon fuel tank. The boot is tiny and the appearance would make me ill every time I saw it.

The probable next car for me will be the A3 e-tron, unless by some miracle the Mk3 TT is released in its stretched 5 door version soon. However, I think that compared to the cars you've viewed, the e-tron is at least 2 rungs higher the costs stakes. In fact I'd say all of them are lesser cars than the new Beetle you currently have!

Steve B

Yes, she has seen the new Smart Car advert and likes it, but the car through the company NHS scheme is very expensive to lease from what she said?

I do like the i3 and see a few on the roads in Central London.

I would prefer a Tesla though ;)

Seriously looked at the i3 but it just isn't in any way practical for me. The range is low unless you get the one with the petrol range extender and even then you only get a 2 gallon fuel tank. The boot is tiny and the appearance would make me ill every time I saw it.

The probable next car for me will be the A3 e-tron, unless by some miracle the Mk3 TT is released in its stretched 5 door version soon. However, I think that compared to the cars you've viewed, the e-tron is at least 2 rungs higher the costs stakes. In fact I'd say all of them are lesser cars than the new Beetle you currently have!

The Beetle is 14 years old though and even though it does drive nice, it really is not suitable or should i say 'trustworthy' for her job as she will be driving to quite distant locations and sometimes on night shift.

I do love the new A3, so good choice there!

Out of interest, why do you think it is untrustworthy? Has it had a history of breaking down? I only ask as ours is 13 years old.

Chris

Out of interest, why do you think it is untrustworthy? Has it had a history of breaking down? I only ask as ours is 13 years old.

Chris

She has had two Beetles in the last year and both have had broken rear springs replaced and various little faults. The second spring was replaced by myself a few days ago and now the boot will not close alongside a few other minor faults that just really annoy her.

It is a good car, but I'm constantly fixing little things on it for her, so she just wants something that she can trust and that she can just get in and drive to her destination.

Now if it was just to get her to work and back the Beetle would be fine.

YES PLEASE !! Now that is what an electric vehicle should look and act like!!!!

Steve B

I managed to see one up close whilst in New York!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423682244.778886.jpg

Right o' just wondered as ours has had nothing done to it apart from a temp sender. That said the MOT is on Friday, and I've just ruined my chances of 10 years straight passes.

And if the strut tops do need changing, I'm getting a Spax PSX kit for it.

Chris

Hi,
Now she hasn't been driving that long (1 year) so she would like something that is low to insure, is of a decent build quality, good mpg return and is relatively small, but has room for her work bags, shopping and preferably a 5 door car.

We have a '12 plate SEAT Mii (similar to the VW Up!). We bought it new for my wife to use now and then, and for our son to learn to drive: it has the lowest insurance group (1 of 50). We looked at the Skoda and VW variants: I got the best deal on the SEAT. It has aircon and we chose the optional module which includes sat nav: I'm not sure it is available as a 5 door. My friend has a new Porsche 911 but often uses their family Up!. It is a really practical, good value, car.

Andrew

Anything French is ruled out if reliability are paramount so that narrows it down nicely and the Nissan Joke is fugly. If you are looking at Fiesta class then you have to consider the Polo/Ibiza/Fabia trio of which the Fabia is fresh for 2015. The Hyundai i10/i20 and Kia equivalents are worthy contenders too. I would also consider the Blini which with its new 3 cyl engine gets good write ups and Mazda have a new 2 due very soon or you could get a good deal on a run-out old shape. A1 to keep it in the Audi family and from Yorkshire is the VW E-Up! ;) For a left field option how about an MG3? Heck of a lot of car for the money.

We have a '12 plate SEAT Mii (similar to the VW Up!). We bought it new for my wife to use now and then, and for our son to learn to drive: it has the lowest insurance group (1 of 50). We looked at the Skoda and VW variants: I got the best deal on the SEAT. It has aircon and we chose the optional module which includes sat nav: I'm not sure it is available as a 5 door. My friend has a new Porsche 911 but often uses their family Up!. It is a really practical, good value, car.

Andrew

Thank you Andrew,
We will take a look at the Mii

Anything French is ruled out if reliability are paramount so that narrows it down nicely and the Nissan Joke is fugly. If you are looking at Fiesta class then you have to consider the Polo/Ibiza/Fabia trio of which the Fabia is fresh for 2015. The Hyundai i10/i20 and Kia equivalents are worthy contenders too. I would also consider the Blini which with its new 3 cyl engine gets good write ups and Mazda have a new 2 due very soon or you could get a good deal on a run-out old shape. A1 to keep it in the Audi family and from Yorkshire is the VW E-Up! ;) For a left field option how about an MG3? Heck of a lot of car for the money.

Im not a french car fan either and not keen on the Juke. I think its too big for her being a new driver.

Will take a look at the Polo & Fabia, the Ibiza is just out of the budget i think.

A1 is nice, we have had two so will check for any deals on the out going model.

I would have thought the Ibiza would be the cheapest of the 3 especially given it is in its last year before replacement. Sure you are not thinking Leon? However would concur about the Mii (and Citigo) version of the 'Up! They are on our shortlist for next year and if we go for one it will simply be which marque or badge can offer the best deal for the required spec at the time. Also quite like the refreshed Corsa (not really new given it uses the old shell with new nose and tail). What about Yaris hybrid if you are into that sort of thing and can cope with the boring anonymity of a Toyota....

FWIW....for us it would be a straight fight between an UP (or the other VAG equivalents) and a Fiesta. The UP would be my going in favourite but you can't ignore the praise heaped join the Fiesta. The only problem with the latter around here (in Ford county) is that they're EVERYWHERE!

BUT.......a left field entrant would be a Fiat Panda 4x4 or Trekking if you didn't want the 4x4 hardware. I've had a couple as hire cars in ski resorts and they're awesome! They're not quick but then it didn't sound as if quick was part of the job description!

Back