New owner with Q about door lock adjustment

5am

Hi all,

Have been lurking for many months and last Saturday px'd my 2001 BMW 5 series for a 2004 A2 1.4 Tdi!! Must say that this forum has been a fantastic resource so many thanks to all.

One question though - I noted on the journey home from the dealer that there was more wind noise from the drivers door than expected. Indeed I can feel that the gap between the window frame seal (on the door) and the door aperture is slightly wider on the drivers side than the passenger's. I figured that this simply meant that the door was not quite shutting tightly enough. From outside the car with the door shut, I can see that the rubber seal is slightly proud and I can push gently against the window to close the gap. Note that the door does not leak water at all and the door closes soundly.

Have seen the various threads about door hinges and aluminium fatigue however i have no evidence of cracks.

But I see there's a screw in a circular recess just below the lock on the door. On the passenger door, this screw is dead central but on the driver's it is left-of-centre. I thought that loosening this slightly might allow me to move the lock mechanism further into the door, thus closing the door further. Despite gentle taps, the lock would not budge.

Any thoughts on this? Is there another screw/nut under the door trim which needs to be loosened?

Thanks in advance,

Sam

I had a problem when i bought my A2 that looked like the driver door had 'dropped', which also caused the door to make a strange noise and jerk when I got to the 'mid-way point' of closing/opening the door.

I had a look at all the screws and connections to see if anything was loose, and I found a loose screw (took a star bit to tighten) going inside the door, I tightened it up and the door propped up and stopped making the noise/doing the jerk. Don't know whether this is anything similar to your prob.

-Dan

Thanks Dan. Door hasn't dropped at all and closes perfectly so not sure if it's quite the same problem as yours.

Everything seems to point to the screw in the piccies - it just won't bl**dy budge!!

The only adjustment that could be done is on the strike plate(think thats is name) its the shiney bit on the door pillar loosen torx and move inwards and tighten back up.

Alan

The screw that you are looking at is just for the catch there is no movment on that, you will get some adjustment like AlanA2 said on the strike plate. But to me from your pic it looks like at some point its either had it keys locked in and they've bent the frame or someone has tried to brake in to it, because if you look at the frame, it looks like its in line with the back door but pulled out

Cheers Phil

Back