NEW philips +80 xtreme bulbs

manhattan$

Past Member
I was just wondering if any of you guys have a set of these yet? They are supposed to be fantastic and use some sort of new technology and they also give out a more natural white light.

This is a bit of info i was sent:

Every innovation since 1920 has been Philips and they are the world leaders
in both innovation and manufacturing.

The first 'blue' bulb was the Philips BlueVision it was designed to offer
the look of Gas Discharge (HID) in a halogen lamp, this was achieved with a
filter on the quartz glass as is all 'blue' bulbs you seen on the market
today many 'claiming' to be xenon bulbs the description 'xenon' giving the
impression that they are something to do with the real technology 'xenon'
which is what the Europeans also call Gas Discharge or now commonly referred
to as HID (High Intensity Discharge) which as a 'slang' introduced by the
Asian market when they entered the copy and conversion kit market 5 years
ago. Every halogen bulb with a 'blue' effect has a coating on the glass
and the actual light output varies depending on the amount of filter/colour
and also the origins of the bulb and manufacture itself. In the case of a
Philips DiamondVision the colour is a filter as explained and this as in all
the bulbs you see marketed in this way reduces the actual light output,
however, as Philips is the only manufacturer to use Quartz glass they are of
a higher performance than the cheap imports you see everywhere, and will
give more light than standard but it is the colour that people want and
like.
BTW I should add here every halogen lamp regardless of manufacture has xenon
gas in them and it should not be confused with what re-sellers call a xenon
bulb or in some way make you believe that xenon gas improves the light or
gives the colour, this is completely false, xenon gas has a very large atom
size and is present in a greater or smaller extent to prevent the filament
from evaporating too quickly it doesn't do anything else. So ignore all the
marketing jargon and go with real technology and correct science and you
won't go too far wrong.

The high performance lamps such as X-treme Power (+80%) and it's predecessor
VisionPlus (+50%) are not 'fashion' products, these are real performance
innovations and offer much more light (luminance) than a standard in the
case of XP this is up to 80% and is achieved with real technology not colour
or gimmick.
The XP offers a 'white' light and this is achieved in much the same way as
the VP except more so with newer technology, they are quite simply the
brightest/whitest halogen Road legal bulb available. To compare XP with
DiamondVision is therefore, not comparing technology all blue halogen have
'tint' and are a 'fashion' or style choice the XP is the ultimate in
technology offering white light but colour is not the point what they offer
in technology is the ultimate in light output.

They retail at around £30.
I would like to fit a HID kit, but if these are as good as people have been raving about i may go for the cheaper philips option.

Last edited:
Yeah I bought the gt150's a month before the new ones came out, I'm pretty pleased with what I have now but would like to know what the newer versions are like.

Hi manhattan$
I have just fitted a set of the Philips Extreme dipped bulbs to replace Osram plus 50's, one of which had just blown. They are very good and worth the extra cash but i'd guess a good HID set up is probably 20% better.
The Auto Express article put me off the HID's but when Skipton cracks the self levelling and headlamp washer set-up i'll reconsider.
Note the Philips bulbs are in short supply and most suppliers have a waiting list.

Cheers Spike

thanks for that spike.
can you tell me if they give off a good white light?

also i do know a store that has the x-tremes in stock ;)

Slight error thare manhattan, halogen bulb - doesn't that have halogen gas in it hence the name, likewise xenon, has xenon gas in it! which as you say allows the fillament to burn hotter without frying itself hence the same wattage and ampage as they are directly related giving greater illuminance.
Having used the vision plus I can vouch for their excellent light output, yes you do loose a little due to the coating but not as much as some, you pays yer money etc.
I've also used PIAA extreme white at great expense and found the philips just as good at half the price.
I am looking for the new type and having some difficulty at the moment.
By the way see my HID Upgrade post re legality of HID conversions.
http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4819

Hi manhattan$
Yes the Extreme bulbs do give of a good white light. The beam pattern is also very even and well controlled. I don't know if things have changed but at the time of ordering, main beam bulbs were not available.
Re availibility - still waiting for a set of H4's for the wife's car which were ordered 2 weeks before Christmas

Cheers Spike

Hi manhatan$
I don't think me or the camera are smart enough to get a decent pic of the bulbs in action.
Going back to HID's, I have been thinking about fitting a main beam conversion. I know it would second best to having the ultimate dipped beams but they would still be useful , without the issue of needing washers and auto levelling.

Cccheers Spike

I am looking for a set of these 80+ lamps does any body know the code for the a2 ones and where i could pick these up from thanks in advance.:)

are these a direct replacement for the stock dipped light for any a2? I have 2003 A2 1.6FSI and would like to upgrade my dipped beam for normal driving. Are the H7 the ones I need? If I were to get high beam converted would they be H4? Please advice, thanks in advance! :)

Jia

Once more:

Dipped beams (and front fogs, where fitted) are always H7

Main beams are always H3.

The A2 has never used H1s or H4s.

Cheers,

Mike

what about your genuine HID xenons skip? were they a option for the a2? and if so, can it be retro fitted? doesn't that require auto leveling and also headlight washers as discussed earlier? if so, are these also retro fitted too?

They are genuine HID, as opposed to xenon-charged halogen bulbs, but they are not the mythical A2 xenons. They do give out a superb light compared to standard bulbs though.

I am in the process of working out the tasks needed and the wiring schematics for retro-fitting self-levelling systems (the headlamp washing is fairly straight-forward.

The A2 was offered for sale in the UK with the option of HID lighting, but only for about 6 months and then it was a £900+ option.

As Audi UK never sold one in that period, they deleted it from the options list and try as I might, I can't find a part number anywhere.

Cheers,

Mike

cheers for that insight, guess i'll be trying out these +80 xtreme bulbs as i'm looking for better lighting at night...

Back