New to the forum (1.2tdi) and slight issue with acceleration

a2denmark

Hello! My name is Kevin and I’m originally from the U.S. but living in Denmark with my wife.

We just purchased a dark green a2 1.2tdi 3l import from Germany (complete with power steering and climate).

That’s one for the books right? An American driving the most fuel efficient car in the world! :D

I’m having a problem and wanted to see if any of you others have experienced this: I drive in economy mode and when I stop the car shuts off (part of the fuel saving feature of the 3l) but after it starts up again (after releasing the brake), I push the gas pedal and it does nothing for a few seconds! The motor is running like normal but it’s like the gas pedal is dead for those few moments.

I will bring it back to the place I bought it but wanted to see if anyone had this happen to them before?

Looking forward to being part of this forum!
Kevin

That’s one for the books right? An American driving the most fuel efficient car in the world! :D

Lets just call it a "small" SUV so you feel at home, lol

Welcome to the forum Kevin, i cant help you on the 1.2TDI but there are a few members here that will no doubt be able to help you. There are one or two with the 1.2TDI A2's which surprisingly was not released in the UK for sale??? :confused:

Paul.

Lets just call it a "small" SUV so you feel at home, lol

Welcome to the forum Kevin, i cant help you on the 1.2TDI but there are a few members here that will no doubt be able to help you. There are one or two with the 1.2TDI A2's which surprisingly was not released in the UK for sale??? :confused:

Paul.

Great thanks!...it is weird that it didn't come to the UK, it's a wonderful version!! Maybe the powers at be decided that it was a little too European to have a 3l model and it would make you lose touch with your former colonies? :p

We have an A2 1.2TDI which we bought in Germany in the summer but is not yet registered in the UK. I have experienced this once on start-up; turned off and restarted and it was OK. The throttle is electronic so it may have something to do with the hydraulic pressure - not enough to change gear/operate the clutch? We also have two Lupo 3L's with the same engine/gearbox but I have never experienced this with either of them.

RAB

Hi Kevin

I think it might have been too difficult to convert. I mean how silly would the 105.63 fl oz / 5.28 pints / 2/3 Gallon badge have looked!!! Which would have required another Gallon badge had it made ot to the US. and all these badges would have been per 62 Miles.

Come to think of it, the size of your gallon, is the only thing small about American motoring.

Although the liberal pinkos in this country seem to enjoy mixing our weights and measures to ensure nobody knows whats going on or how much it all costs. I mean nearly all of our motoring law requires imperial mesurement (Road signs, MPG, MPH etc) but we buy fuel in litres (liters) to keep everybody in the dark about how much driving to the shops actually costs because theres no alternative public transport to ensure the Government can keep raising more money from the motorist....and relax - now where did I put my medication...

Last edited:
Gas pedal asleep

Kevin,

I've an A2 1.2 TDI too.

Sounds like yours may have a little problem.............suggest you see if it continues or self fixes. If it still does this (and it really is seconds of delay and not milliseconds), you'll need to take yourself and car off for a VAG dealer diagnostic scan.

Ciao,

Erling

Great choice of car!

Had mine since November 2002 in the UK.

Have you tried manual mode for getting out of junctions? This willgive you more acceleration - also good for entering motorways or over taking slower traffic.

It takes a while to get used to ECO mode especially the free wheeling!

Enjoy!

Hey! I have brought it back to the dealership I bought it from and they combed through it (even put new brakes all around and a new cv axle for free!), they said that they couldn't find any problem so they reset the computer and said to have me drive and see if it self fixes. The interesting thing is that it hasn't shut off at a light at all now! I'm thinking that is maybe because the headlights/radio/climate are always on (dark when I leave to work and dark when I return) and the battery isn't at a high enough voltage do allow it to shut off (since it has a safety feature that keeps the car from shutting off if the voltage is too low to restart it!).

Anyways, I hope I figure it out...the good thing is that the dealership I purchased it from said that I have a 6 month warranty on the drive train and motor!!

Back