New wiper design upgrade possible?

im333

Hi,

I have a 2002 1.4se and it needs a new wiper blade.
Rather than buy a straight replacement, it may be better to upgrade.

Is it possible to fit the newer style arm and blade, and if so, what are the differences?

Is it simply a 'flat' blade such as the Bosch aero twin or something more?
Has anyone done thsi mod and can they offer more help?

Thanks,
im333

Hi,

I have a 2002 1.4se and it needs a new wiper blade.
Rather than buy a straight replacement, it may be better to upgrade.

Is it possible to fit the newer style arm and blade, and if so, what are the differences?

Is it simply a 'flat' blade such as the Bosch aero twin or something more?
Has anyone done thsi mod and can they offer more help?

Thanks,
im333

Although I've not actually carried out the conversion, the wiper swap is quite straightforward, requiring the mimimum of tools and only about 30-45 minutes.

The main advantage of the new wiper system is that it's a lot lighter than the old one, so the car doesn't rock as much when using the wiper, as there's far less momentum.

Also, replacement blades are cheaper and they tend to work better at speed, as they hug the glass more.

There has been a write-up on the conversion - do a search for it, but if you have a socket set, you can do the job.

Cheers,

Mike

I have retro fitted the floppy wiper and arm and it is really quite straightforward.

Probably the hardest part is removing the old arm from the spindles and getting the new one set in the correct position.

Probably took me around 20-25mins from start to finish.

Got mine from THIS ebay seller,It might be worth emailing him to see if he has any.

Or you can get the kit from VAGPARTS(mine cost around half the price inc blade from the ebay guy)

A little tip for getting the position of the arm just right is to mark the position of the old wiper arm, both in the vertical and at rest position, with a couple of pieces of tape.

That way, you can precisely align the new arm with the old marks!

Also, as Herusix says, getting the old arm off can be a pain, as the spindle is steel and the arm is alloy, meaning that they corrode together over the years.

Spray on plenty of penetrating fluid in advance and wiggle the old arm loose. You can use a small ball-joint splitter too, or try to get hold of the Audi special puller tool.

Cheers,

Mike

Spikes link is good - simply click on the attachment and download the pdf file it contains.

Cheers,

Mike

it's this bloomin' ie7! the area under attached thumbnails is empty!
i've have enough problems with ie7! I hate it!
Anyone be kind enough to mail me the pdf directly?

Also, I can't even contact the ebay seller because the security numbers needed don't display when sending a message!

it's this bloomin' ie7! the area under attached thumbnails is empty!
i've have enough problems with ie7! I hate it!
Anyone be kind enough to mail me the pdf directly?

Also, I can't even contact the ebay seller because the security numbers needed don't display when sending a message!

Personally if your having problems with IE7 then I'd switch to firefox instead.
Microsoft seem to think we are all beta testers for them nowadays.

Can anyone tell me how to know if I have the more modern wiper?

Lift up the wiper and if it's all floppy, then you have the new style system.

The newer blade doesn't have the traditional sprung arms to press it against the windscreen either.

Cheers,

Mike

The wiper Blade itself will be a bendy piece of rubber like the one in the picture below
aerotwin.jpg

The linkage on the end of the dual arms are different also,on the later version it looks like a pressed piece of steel,the earlier version in contrast has a plastic shround covering the end bit of linkage.

Can anyone tell me the part number for LHD floppy blade arm, please? Vagcat.com is down at the moment, but when I last had a look, there were more than one and I wasn't sure which was the right one. Thanks.

Can anyone tell me the part number for LHD floppy blade arm, please? Vagcat.com is down at the moment, but when I last had a look, there were more than one and I wasn't sure which was the right one. Thanks.

For the LHD floppy, you need 8Z1 955 407E

Hope that helps,

Mike

Does anyone find the spray pressure to be too low?
I have adjusted them to spray slightly over the windscreen at stand still to be somewhat accurate when driving.

Mike - is that LHD one the complete conversion kit or just spare wiper?

best

Audi don't do a 'kit' - that part number is for the new style arm only (LHD). You will also need a wiper blade, which is 8Z1 955 425F.

The bolts are re-useable from the old wiper arm, as are the bolt covers.

Cheers,

Mike

Back