Newbie needs help choosing...

gman

Hi all,

We are planning on visiting our local car supermarket this weekend for our first look at an A2. I've always loved them, hoping to encourage the wife into one.

http://www.availablecar.com/SearchResults.aspx?ST=m&f=Audi~A2&so=00000000

This is their current stock - what would you all recommend from this selection. I like the idea of the TDi but it looks like there is about a £1k premium for them, I cant imagine we'd ever make that money back in tax or fuel bills over the FSI? Maybe we would when it comes to sell.

The pine green fsi at £7k looks like a good deal to me. The TDi's seem really popular on this forum but the 1.6 fsi seemed to get the better reviews when it first came out.

The blue TDi sport looks like it has 16" 9 spokes as opposed to the 17's on most sports is that my eyes?

Any opinions greatfully received.

Thanks for your thoughts, my instinct is still with saving £1000 and going for the 1.6 FSI. My wife hates the blue and I'm not keen on island green. As you say it comes down to personal preference and a few test drives should give us a clue.

I used to have a 225bhp TT which was supposed to run on 98ron but it was always fine on normal unleaded and achived similar economy on either.

Any more preferences out there, I've not seem many fsi owners singing their praises on here?

I have a petrol 1.6 and its a good little car - cant complain about economy, although I think I now do enough miles to have justified a TDi instead.

Mine has been run recently on 95RON - so far (1 tank of 98 RON per month) over 3 months the economy has improved and car is no less drivable, so IMO no need for expensive fuel.

One comment about that site - it really winds me up when people put something like:

£7999 - Save £8000 as price new was £15999....... Who cares, its 4 or 5 years old, not like its brand new and making a 50% saving.

I was browsing around today on a few websites and come across this...diesel SE 2003, 52k on the clock and it looks pretty good value for money (5800 and one owner), I think it may have DIS from the right stalk. Not sure what bad points it has.. seems it is located in the basingstoke or winchester area. Wouldn't mind it myself :cool:

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-u...ke=AUDI&model=A2&min_pr=&max_pr=&max_mileage=

Will try and view it in the next few days if available and bring back some pictures in more detail.

Hi,

I run my 1.6 on regular unleaded without issue. All coil packs were replaced - now with an improved design (which are supposedly more robust). This was all covered by Audi despite being out of the initial warranty.

FWIW - I doubt you'll want to remap an FSI. My recent 'tweak' by Stealth has certainly improved the power delivery - but the penalty has been a 10% drop in economy. I will be talking to Stealth to see if anything can be done about this.

Ben

As the owner of a Sept 2002 1.6FSi I reckon this version has a good economy/performance compromise:-
Engine pulls from 2000 - 5500 rpm so not too many gearchanges.
I have completed 52 000 miles at an average of just over 50mpg (measured by fuel in, not from computer)

It is true that the low speed performance takes a bit of getting used to, and that to achieve this economy you need to follow the handbook advice with light throttle and changing gear to keep in the 1500-2000rpm range before engaging 5th.
This is also the base spec vehicle saving a bit of weight, and no climate control power consumption.

Engine problems have been:
Replacement of 1 coil pack at 37 000 miles (common I believe; I was surprised that a 'faulty part' lasted so long before failure).
Replacement of Knock sensor and control unit (unusual, I understand)

Other problems I have had are common across the range (roll bar bushes, rattling cat convertor (petrols), rusty rear disc replacement (1.6 FSi & TDi 90bhp)).

Hope this helps!

I've had my 1.6 FSI for a little over six months now, my previous car was a tuned Honda Civic Type R so I'm familiar with having to use higher revs to get the best out of the engine LOL.

For every day driving around town the power delivery seems smooth and relatively alert but it certainly becomes more responsive once you get above 3000 - 3500 revs.

On the motorway it seems to cope fine (without too much noise) and revs at about 3500 - 4000 whilst cruising at 70-80mph. For a 1.6, overtaking isn't too bad either, it seems to pull better than the 1.6 mini cooper I previously owned.

I roughly average 42mpg which seems ok considering the majority of my journeys are short and around town.

No reliability issues as of yet, but I've only covered 3000 miles in 6 months.

Back