Nissens tdi intercooler ,tiny pipe...

nod

Hi folks, whilst under the car tdi75 sorting something I just noticed oil sprayed all over the rubber intercooler pipe. Cleaned it off, restarted the engine and the oil came back, found it was spray coming out of a tiny pipe at the base of the new intercooler installed. I'm guessing this should be blocked somehow? Anyone know if it should be blocked up? Cheers
IMAG1463.jpg

This tiny pipe has been discussed a number of times over the years, and there's still no definitive answer regarding its precise purpose. It's either for draining oil from the lower end-tank, or it's used to feed boost pressure to an analogue gauge, or the same design of end tank is used on other vehicles, etc. However, in an A2 TDI, it needs to be blocked, otherwise turbo boost pressure is lost, and oil gets sprayed everywhere.
The Pro Alloy intercooler does not feature this tiny pipe.

Cheers,

Tom

What is more worrying is the quantity of oil. All the A2 intercoolers I have seen this port is internally blocked on the intercooler. It does indeed as Tom has stated need to be blocked off. My guess is someone went to fit it and saw the port blocked off so drilled it out. I would try to drain out as much oil as possible before blocking it off. Are you using a lot of oil? Has it been overfilled? Do you have a dipstick with the end broken off? What condition is the turbo seals? I would thread a suitable bolt into the port wrapping a turn of PTFE tape around the threads.

What is more worrying is the quantity of oil. All the A2 intercoolers I have seen this port is internally blocked on the intercooler. It does indeed as Tom has stated need to be blocked off. My guess is someone went to fit it and saw the port blocked off so drilled it out. I would try to drain out as much oil as possible before blocking it off. Are you using a lot of oil? Has it been overfilled? Do you have a dipstick with the end broken off? What condition is the turbo seals? I would thread a suitable bolt into the port wrapping a turn of PTFE tape around the threads.
Thanks for the advice, the intercooler was fitted about 6 months ago and it wasn't drilled out. The oil, I may have overfilled it a bit on a hill, but I recently checked the level and all seems fine. I'll keep an eye on oil usage, haven't been driving it enough to use much. No leaks on the turbo external, not sure about inside now, all looked good when checked 6 months ago. No external leaks on the engine, only out of the tiny pipe. Hopefully it goes a bit better once I block it tomorrow! Cheers

Just to add to this, I bought an NRF replacement intercooler and the port is definitely not blocked on that either.

If they were being left blocked/not drilled out for certain applications at one point, they don't seem to be anymore.

Is the best option for blocking this thing the classic tube with a bolt in the end or is there a more elegant method?

Just to add to this, I bought an NRF replacement intercooler and the port is definitely not blocked on that either.

If they were being left blocked/not drilled out for certain applications at one point, they don't seem to be anymore.

Is the best option for blocking this thing the classic tube with a bolt in the end or is there a more elegant method?
Is it just a drilled hole, or is there a thread inside?
Mac.

Back