Normal for Norfolk - 19th-21st August

Added to Calendar: 19-08-22, 20-08-22, 21-08-22

RSVP  Print

Event start date: Friday 2022-08-19
Event end date: Sunday 2022-08-21
Registration ends: Thursday 2022-08-18
# Username Guest count Note
1 Teresa Teresa 2  
2 Dave M Dave M 2 Thanks T...looking forward to this.
3 wills wills 2  
4 Proghound Proghound 2 Provisionally Lynette & myself
5 Sidewinder Sidewinder 1  
6 Sheila Sheila 2 Sheila and Ron
7 The Kitchpoos The Kitchpoos 4 Only the Sunday due to travelling back from Scotland Saturday.
8 Vonnie Vonnie 2 Friday night only for myself and A2Sumo
9 N NLS14M 1 Accomodation booked for the weekend

Teresa

Social Secretary
European-Union
This social is a bit of a weekend city/country break in one of the sunniest parts of the UK. I’m just finalising details of routes for the drives etc, but this is the plan

Saturday am – drive out to Blickling Hall (National Trust), Option to visit the House and Garden (Adult £14, Child £7, Family £35, Family with 1 adult £21, free to NT members), or just wander the grounds (No cost except car park fee of £5, again free to NT members). Light Lunches available in the café. I am hoping that we will be able to have a photo op in front of the Hall.

Saturday pm – Coast drive – drive up to Cromer, parking at the Cliff Top car park with great views and a short walk into the town. Sightseeing and the option to see the only full season end of pier show in the Uk at 4pm (£28 per adult, or £22 if more than 10 people). If you remember Seaside Special on the TV and like a bit of cheesy entertainment, this is highly recommended. Fish and Chips for tea, plus an ice cream, before a scenic drive back to the city.
1657560355636.png

Sunday morning – meet at the Monastery car park (NR3 1HN) around 9.30 for an easy walking tour around the old part of Norwich including the Cathedral and Pulls Ferry. There are plenty of Café’s around for coffee on the way round. Around 11ish, we will convoy down the famous Elm Hill, have a short drive around some key sights around the city, before heading to Norwich City Football Ground and Yellows Restaurant for those who would like lunch (shops and another riverside walk are available for anyone who doesn’t want lunch).

1657560313720.png
1657560325594.png

Following lunch, you have easy access to the A47 and A11 to head home, or back into the city if you want to do a bit of shopping.

Hotels

Norwich has suddenly become quite popular as a tourist destination and that along with school holidays means that prices are a little steep, but not too bad

Basing ourselves North of the City center around the airport makes it easiest for us to get to places. Below are some options and current (11th July) prices (NB the Holiday Inn Norwich North and Premier inn Norwich Airport are next to each other and would be the best bet. The others are only a 5 to 10 minute drive away though)

AccommodationFriday 19thSaturday 20th
Holiday Inn Norwich North£116£143
Premier Inn Norwich Airport£70£122
Mercure Norwich£79£103
Holiday Inn Express Norwich£94£121

If anyone prefers bringing a tent, this campsite is excellent and in a good location for all the events over the weekend https://top-farm.info/norfolk-camping-pitches/

This is designed to be a social where you can join some or all of it. If you are interested in attending, please RSVP at the top, book accommodation as needed and I will set up an MS Forms to collect preferences in terms of visiting Blickling Hall, seeing the Cromer Pier show and having a meal at Yellows.

I look forward to being able to show you my part of the world. Teresa

Unfortunately we will miss this one as we will be in Scotland again. Loads of good pubs in Norwich for those that like an ale, and don't forget to get your crabs in Cromer, proper seaside town.
One slight worry Teressa is that you have quoted it as one of the sunniest parts of the UK, I do hope that's not tempting fate 🌞🌞

Sorry you'll not be there Mandy. I'll let Kieran down gently, he can, however, practice his table football for the next one. ;)

Unfortunately we will miss this one as we will be in Scotland again. Loads of good pubs in Norwich for those that like an ale, and don't forget to get your crabs in Cromer, proper seaside town.
One slight worry Teressa is that you have quoted it as one of the sunniest parts of the UK, I do hope that's not tempting fate 🌞🌞

Ah, sorry to miss you, but completely understand the draw of Scotland. It would be a heckof a trek for you too.
Hopefully we will live up to our sunny reputation, but must adit that a bit of rain wouldn't go amis at the moment.

I've seriously considered coming to this event as its a part of the country I've never visited, however as it's a 4-4.5hr drive each way on a good day, and I need to save some holiday leave, so I will miss this one.

I'm sure there will be time for some great photo op's so looking forward to those, hope its a great weekend for all and that Teresa's not jinxed the weather 🌞

Sorry you won't make it Steve, but totally understandable.

I've seriously considered coming to this event as its a part of the country I've never visited, however as it's a 4-4.5hr drive each way on a good day, and I need to save some holiday leave, so I will miss this one.

I'm sure there will be time for some great photo op's so looking forward to those, hope its a great weekend for all and that Teresa's not jinxed the weather 🌞

Looking forward to this one. Thanks @Teresa for organising this for us, and for fabulous pics you put in original post.
We manage to book a room at Chestnut Grove B&B, for only £90 with breakfast which is wow. So, see you soon all...
Meanwhile, stay away from sun and keep cool 🍦🍨🧊🥂🍻🍹🚿🌞

Just a little bump for this social. If you’ve never been to one before, you’ll not leave disappointed. Members are very friendly and stem from an array of diverse backgrounds. The cars range in condition from excellent to workhorses, though this makes no difference to the inclusivity of all. The field is always equal, there are no top trumps here or reasons to think your car isn’t good enough to join in. I look forward to meeting new and old (not age 😉) friends at this one.

Oh man!! We are only in Gt Yarmouth but on the Isle of Arran this week. We are driving home (non stop) Saturday. So. If (and it's a bit of a big If) we are up and feeling energetic we will come and join you for the Sunday morning.

Yes looking forward to seeing you - we can only stop for the Friday night but be great to see you and chat over a bit of food and drink in the hotel. We are in the holiday inn but it’s a 5 min trip away from the premier inn
Please book a couple of seats for us and let us know what time - cheers mike and Yvonne.

Great to see that our former social secretaries, stalwarts of the club and great friends, Mike and Yvonne, are joining this event even if only for a brief spell. Brilliant news

On the reverse side, it is looking less and less likely that we will be able to join you as things stand. As some of you know I work in safety for the railway, specifically level crossings. I am managing contingency arrangements during industrial action and as day two of wave three affects rail operations on Saturday and Sunday of next week, I will need to work. I'm hoping it gets called off but I fear this is unlikely as talks seem to be at an impasse.

Great to see that our former social secretaries, stalwarts of the club and great friends, Mike and Yvonne, are joining this event even if only for a brief spell. Brilliant news

On the reverse side, it is looking less and less likely that we will be able to join you as things stand. As some of you know I work in safety for the railway, specifically level crossings. I am managing contingency arrangements during industrial action and as day two of wave three affects rail operations on Saturday and Sunday of next week, I will need to work. I'm hoping it gets called off but I fear this is unlikely as talks seem to be at an impasse.
Completely understand Darren 🤗

Back