Not a Dicky Bird

joejd

Audi A2 1.4 tdi Special Edition 2005 just won't start. Engine management light on and when key turned absolutely nothing OK message on display as normal. Fortunately was parked on an incline last evening and car started in 2nd. Tried again when I arrived home but nothing. Had remap done Wednesday but don't think they are related. Tried again this am but not even the hint of a whirr ... probably needs Vag Com but is it safe to push start like last night? Any help greatly appreciated. Losing faith in Audi Tech my Honda Civic diesel never missed a beat!

Hi there,

Are there any noises at all?? Ticking of the starter solenoid for instance? Obvious things like the battery condition and earthing to the starter motor are the first things to check. If you are a member of the RAC (or equiv) they will be able to help with this, since they are a breakdown company ;)
You could also try wiggling the key whilst in the starter motor on position? The ignition barrels on some model years were prone to failure, mine went and was replaced under the used car warranty. Other suggestions would be an immobiliser fault, do all the lights go out on the dashboard? and have you tried the second key?

Post with more details when you have tried a few things. I am sure someone will be able to help.

David

Wrt push starts;
The only risk I am aware of with push starts is damage to the catalytic convertor in the exhaust. Sometimes unburnt fuel can be send thru the exhaust, it is trapped on the cataylst and then burnt when the engine warms up. This process causes a large temp increase on the cataylst, and in the worst case can melt the ceramic brick :eek: blocking the exhaust meaning you need to buy a new one! The owner's manual for most cars will warn you not to push start due to this. Not sure what is says in mine? and not sure whether this would happen with an A2 diesel? It is engine dependant.

Hi it sounds to me like an earth problem as already stated here. I know that a2bluesport has had very similar experience this week---- em/light on but no starter motor action.he found it was the earth lead from the engine to the chassis(fsi engine).it is a wire about 14mm in dia that has a fitting at each end.there is a rubber sleeve that covers these fittings-it was this rubber that was holding it all together as the wire had just fractured through! You say you have just had a remap- I recon the extra torque you now have may have just caused the engine gearbox to move more than usual and broken this wire? Just my theory though but worth a look and feel. Good luck mike

I agree with most of the comments above. Its possible the remap guys disconnected the battery and may not have retightened the terminals fully. Thats the first thing I would check

Cheers Spike

Many thanks everyone for your advice; managed to start car with neighbour's help and drove straight to my local independent. He can do all the checks because I thought battery was fine and couldn't even find the earth wire for the starter motor!! Will post when problem solved.

I would say the problem is definitely related to the remap - too much of a coincidence for it not to be. As above I reckon the battery connection may not have been done up properly, or similar.
Hope you get the remap driveability thing sorted too.

No start

I seem to recall some probs with the ignition barrel as well causing the same symptoms.Seems to be to much of a coincedence though with the remap so close to the no start.Worth a thought though

No Start

Problem was ignition switch and remap is now splendid across the rev range. I just wasn't driving properly. Again thanks to all.

Back