Not an A2 owner...

Dblock

Hi guys,

I don't have an A2 nor am I looking for one, but before you ban me hear me out :)

I have a Seat arosa 1.4 tdi. It is the same car as a lupo pretty much. My brother also has one aswell. So thats 2 x 1.4 TDi's. Both of the cars are AMF engines and from what I can gather some of the 1.4 TDI's are AMF on the A2 aswell.

You guys seem do bigger and more mechanical mods which I like. I am looking to change my thermostat which I found a guide on here which again I knew how to do it but is still handy to know.

I'm also looking at the longer gear ratio's for me and my brother as we commute on the motorway very often. I hope I can learn off your experienced members about the 3 cylinder AMF and maybe if I can I will share some useful and helpful tips about the engine too.

Thanks guys

Dblock :cool:

Welcome Dblock. There'd be no question of banning you. Provided you are nice this is an open and inclusive community ;)

I'm sure you'll be able to share some knowledge on the TDi, there is a fair bit of expertise within the A2 community. Liking the username too, although I have visions of a prison in my head when I read it!!

Hello Dblock, Arosas are great little cars, but then I'm biased - I have a Lupo and an A2 :) The brother in law had 2 Arosas but now has a Leon. Sadly all of them petrol though, so can't offer you any words of wisdom re engines, though I am sure others on here will do.

I'm also looking at the longer gear ratio's for me and my brother as we commute on the motorway very often. I hope I can learn off your experienced members about the 3 cylinder AMF and maybe if I can I will share some useful and helpful tips about the engine too.

DBlock, there are three options here, a taller fifth gear, fitment of a Polo Bluemotion 5 speed box which gives longer ratios all round, or conversion to a 6 speed box which adds a sixth gear and the choice of a standard or slightly raised fifth. These are listed in order of cost and, I think I'm correct in saying, all will require a remap to pull the higher ratio(s). And additionally I'm assuming the gearbox is also the same as the A2s - I'm sure a more learned member will correct me here.

Stealth Racing in Southam is the favoured garage for this work... but it is one hell of a trip from Dundee. Some of our Scottish members may be able to advise.

As a starter for ten it'd probably be good to do plenty of research by reading appropriate threads to get a better idea of the mods and the one that would suit most. Best to use a google search e.g. "site:a2oc.net bluemotion box" etc etc.

Cheers,

Andy B

Hi Dblock,

Hello from the driver of an AMF-based A2. I really like both the Lupo and the Arosa. I looked into buying one some years back, and would of course have chosen the 1.4TDI. :)

In terms of engine mods, not an awful lot has been done. I have the EGR valve blanked off to stop the exhaust fumes going back through the engine. It has also been remapped. As mentioned, Vince at Stealth in Southam has vast experience of remapping the AMF engine; mine is cleanly and efficiently putting out just over 100bhp.

Where the gearbox is concerned, your car will certainly have an 02J transmission, just like the A2 TDI and a whole host of other VAG vehicles. However, it's difficult to make specific recommendations for you because I don't know the ratios of the Arosa's 'box. On an A2, the 0.659 5th gear is "longer 5th", but that might be too long or two short to work as a decent substitute for your 'box. If you can get your gearbox code (ours is EWQ) or even the specific ratios, further advice could be given.

Cheers,

Tom

Hi guys,

Thanks for the welcomes you guys are really nice. Always a good start.

Yes I have read and researched the difference between the 3 types. I need to research the longer 5th would work on the arosa. The JDD doesn't suit me personally the first 4 ratio's are perfect around town for me. The JDD might work out for my brother but I'd imagine he would say the same as me. The 6 speed seems to expensive to do to me tbh. It would be worth more than my car!

I have modded my car slightly.

I've had it remapped. I remapped my brothers car for £50 from blacksmoke! Mine was done from a mobile guy. I would like to get it dynoed so I know if its decent. I definitely gained alot of torque and power throughout though.
I've plugged the vaccum pipes to the EGR with a golf tee until I can get my Allard EGR blanking plate and pipe fitted.
I've put on the Ibiza cupra/g60 brake upgrade so 280mm discs at the front.
Changed the seats to Golf GTI ones.
I also want to decat my car and my brother's.

I'm sure our ratios are the same. At 70mph I'm sitting at 2500rpm or a tad over. I will see if I can get more specifics though. I hope to be service to people on here too :)

Hi guys,

Thanks for the welcomes you guys are really nice. Always a good start.

Yes I have read and researched the difference between the 3 types. I need to research the longer 5th would work on the arosa. The JDD doesn't suit me personally the first 4 ratio's are perfect around town for me. The JDD might work out for my brother but I'd imagine he would say the same as me. The 6 speed seems to expensive to do to me tbh. It would be worth more than my car!

I have modded my car slightly.

I've had it remapped. I remapped my brothers car for £50 from blacksmoke! Mine was done from a mobile guy. I would like to get it dynoed so I know if its decent. I definitely gained alot of torque and power throughout though.
I've plugged the vaccum pipes to the EGR with a golf tee until I can get my Allard EGR blanking plate and pipe fitted.
I've put on the Ibiza cupra/g60 brake upgrade so 280mm discs at the front.
Changed the seats to Golf GTI ones.
I also want to decat my car and my brother's.

I'm sure our ratios are the same. At 70mph I'm sitting at 2500rpm or a tad over. I will see if I can get more specifics though. I hope to be service to people on here too :)

Thanks for that post, very interesting and most of us like mods so you are amongst like minded people.

Cheers
Steve B

Back