Number plate replacement

birdsd01

A2OC Donor
Sorry if this is an obvious query, but I have got myself a personal number plate (starting with A2, :D:D), and I am after some advice on the best way to attach the plates to the car. Currently it has dealer plinths front and rear which I would like to keep. The rear seems to be stuck on? But the plate is attached to the plinth with plastic screws, they don't turn!! Do I have to take the plinth off the car to remove the screws??
Worse than this, the front seem to be screwed to the bumper, but surprise, surprise the srcews are rusted to nothing, any ideas on getting them off without damaging the plinth, or the bumper?

I know this is a bit "low level" for most on this site, but the last thing I want to do is wreck the bumper or the boot lid. :eek:

Any advice would be appreciated.

David

Once you get the old plates off, you could do worse than getting a set of pressed aluminium plates from these guys: www.dubmeister.co.uk They fit into a new carrier, which screws onto the car, but then the plates are attached without sticky tabs or screws.

To get the old ones off, obviously unscrew, but if they are just turning without loosening, then you might have to do a bit of dis-assembly:

To get to the front nuts, you'll have to remove the lower grill which just pops out, no clips or screws. For the back, you might have to take off the inner tailgate trim, which again just pops out.

The dubmeister plates are very good (I have them on Tank, both German style and UK legal ones) and they will last much better than acrylic ones, where you can often get dirt in between the backing and the plastic.

Cheers,

Mike

Back