OBDeleven standard/pro

A2 Louis

Banned
Hi everyone I need to reset the throttle body and intake manifold on project Boris and I’m looking at a OBDELEVEN STANDARD OR OBDELEVEN PRO and I was wondering would this scan tool reset the throttle body and intake manifold or do I have to use VCDS?

Hi - I have one and whilst I'm sure it could do it you would need to know bit and byte codes i suspect. Certainly would be easier with VCDS

I have the pro version but really bought it to update my mk3 TT (precanned updates to turn on/off features on the car) - not sure if it adds any value to coding if I'm honest.

You could always buy the dongle and then go pro if you find you need it - Pro is really just software the OBD dongle doesnt change.

Incidentally they have just announced a new revision but i suspect its all to do with iOS as current one not compatible...

I have the pro version but really bought it to update my mk3 TT (precanned updates to turn on/off features on the car) - not sure if it adds any value to coding if I'm honest.

You could alwats buy the dongle and then go pro if you find you need it - Pro is really just software the OBD dongle doesnt change.

Incidentally they have just announced a new revision but i suspect its all to do with iOS as current one not compatible...
Ah ok Thanks for all your advice :)

... and obd11 requires that you use their dongle. If they go out of business, you have lost your investment. Running something like VCDS Lite, VAGCom Pro or CarPort diagnostics off of a Windows machine would mean you can buy any cable and it ought to work (though each have their own recommended list).
VCDS is the original and a very good choice but it's not cheap and comes with VIN limitations. Fake copies off Ebay are not to be recommended, and it's possible that the software will demand you're online while configuring.

Pro OBD11 will give you long coding, which you don't have in the basic version; you'll also get the "guided" stuff, but most of that is not really useful for the A2 as there's not much to be edited, unlike, say, a 2016 Octavia. That's why I have the Pro version of CarPort.

- Bret

i have odbeleven and it is alright, though i've not dived in too much into it, A2 only has service reset there barely anything else and noticed live readouts do not quite work right some of the time...

All in all it's alright resets any error codes and shows error codes which was what i needed.

Will pick up VCDS or something more purpose built and less simplified when i do need for that though as VCDS does seem to have quite a few more advanced features.

Would be interesting to know what is best to go for though, as it is hard to justify the cost of VCDS.

... which again is why I went carport. An Autodia cable was €30 or so and the software was €80 for the full set. I found it to be one of the cheaper options.
VCP will give you more opportunity to screw things up; VCDS is just as expensive and I couldn't really justify €200 for something I've used maybe three times in anger. Yeah, OK, that's still cheaper than going to the dealer, but not by much.

I couldn't get Torque to delete the error messages (and I must have mine deleted or it's an MoT fail, no quibbles, light or no) and I found one particular app one year... but then I deleted it and couldn't find it again. The €10 version of CarPort deleted these errors in less than a minute...they're to do with long term trim and tend to pop up when the car's been standing for a long time, which it's been doing for the last 2.5 years. I think I've put through three tanks in that time... it will start to change again soon.

EDIT further about OBD11; there are complaints over on one of the Skoda forums that the one-clicks haven't taken the new facelift changes into account and that things don't necessarily do what they're supposed to. This is another reason for me to be a little suspicious of taking the "easy route"; there are lots of things to mess up and it's hard to fix them back to how they should be.

- Bret

VCDS any time for me..........plenty of use over the years and never failed me, OK genuine maybe out of most owners needs/price range but there are plenty of people on ebay offering code reading if you need to change something and don't want the costs............

You are young and hopefully many more Audis to come so it has to be VCDS. As I have previously said first purchase new owners make is a very good scanner and a good meter. Long before you think about any mods.

Back