Oddities in a scan - mainly open circuit related and unrecorded issue with indicator

John L

A2OC Donor
My indicator has clicked randomly a few times. The indicator lights blink normally and then once in a while on either side do 3-4 rapid clicks then a normal click and the same again. It is not consistent and I suspect it may be a relay issue.
To investigate I did a scan and uncovered the following:

Address 17: Instruments Labels: 8Z0-920-xxx-17.lbl
Part No: 8Z0 920 930 Q
Component: KOMBI+WEGFAHRS. VDO D06
Coding: 02135
Shop #: WSC 00820
VCID: 4A917CF176A4289

1 Fault Found:
00849 - S-contact at Ignition/Starter Switch (D)
31-10 - Open or Short to Ground - Intermittent

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 46: Central Conv. Labels: None
Part No: 8Z0 959 433 M
Component: Komfortgerát T05 0615
Coding: 06772
Shop #: WSC 02138
VCID: 50A56E9990F8129

Subsystem 1 - Part No: 8Z1959801
Component: Tõrsteuer.FS BRM 0001

Subsystem 2 - Part No: 8Z1959802
Component: Tõrsteuer.BF BRM 0001

1 Fault Found:
01320 - Control Module for Climatronic (J255)
49-10 - No Communications - Intermittent

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 56: Radio Labels: 8E0-035-1xx-56.lbl
Part No: 8Z0 035 186 A
Component: concert II GRO 0004
Coding: 00001
Shop #: WSC 02138
VCID: 3A712C312644B89

2 Faults Found:
00856 - Radio Antenna
36-00 - Open Circuit
00858 - Connection; Radio ZF Output to Antenna Amplifier
29-10 - Short to Ground - Intermittent

I am not worried about the climatronic as the aircon works normally. I had a few warnings about some problems with flaps before but all seems fully functional and so I will not try to fix it yet.

I am wondering if the "short to ground", Radio ZF output to antenna amplifier and the 00849 - S-contact at Ignition/Starter Switch (D)
31-10 - Open or Short to Ground - Intermittent are related.

Could these problems and the indicator issue all be due to something as simple as a loose ground connector? What should be reported for a faulty relay?
The other day I removed the left hand headlight and took it inside to dehumidify. Could I have disturbed an earth doing this?

I have also changed the brake light switch and wonder if this could cause the problem with the indicator?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

The radio issues could also be related to me attempting to wire in a Bluetooth unit. I could have disturbed the radio cabling...
I will fit the unit in the next couple of days and so will check the cabling.
So I guess the real question is could the relay issues and the following error be related:

1 Fault Found:

Hi i would say the indicator issue is simply it starting to fail-my one failed 3 years ago(started clicking after use then eventually would not flash at all). There is a guide in the how to section if i remember correctly.
hope that helps mike

The random clicking is only when the switch is active. I have not experienced any clicking at all except when the indicator is engaged.
The lights were flashing normally but the clicking sounds are not regular.
I have some contact cleaner and so will give it a go.

I will check at the dealer to see if the relay has been changed before. If not I guess it may be a good bet to change it to see if this fixes the problem.
I do not want to remove it and inspect and refit more than once as I'm sure I'll break the clips...

The clicking is just when used. Some times it just rapidly double or triple clicks then continues fairly normally. I tried to video it but it behaved when I was watching.
I will try again tomorrow but feel it may be worth changing the relay.

In terms of contact cleaner... where should I spray it? How do I get access to the switch. Is it by removing the under dash panel and spraying up into it? Or along the stalk?

This is where I am really beginning to question the cause.
The indicators flash normally but sometimes the clicking and flashing on the dashboard is fast or out of the normal sequence.
It happens both turning left and right but not consistently. I have never experienced clicking without the indicators being active.
The S-Contact earth/ground issue makes me wonder if a problem with an earth could be causing these issues.
I guess the best bet is to remove and inspect the relay for anything obvious.

Is changing the relays inside the relay unit relatively easy? The prices being banded about at the moment seem quite high for a very simple device.

It has been very damp with fording depth puddles as the snow melts. Could it be related to such an amount of water?

I would like to investigate but would rather not have the relay fail completely as they are not stocked locally and it all takes some time...

Looking at the other thread the grounding problem seems to be the issue! Where is the S-contact at the ignition/starter switch?

1 Fault Found:

Is there by chance a grounding point somewhere under the steering wheel that I could have disturbed changing the brake light switch?

John

Last edited:
I cleaned the earth point behind the lights and reseated the headlight connectors on both sides as one was not fully clicked into place. I also cleaned the pins on the headlight pins.
After 15 min drive there were no further problems with the indicators and so I suspect the problem was a slightly loose connector.
I would have expected it to either work or not work. The half functioning result was unexpected....

It is also worth noting for future. If ever the headlights come off the clip can seem closed without quite "clicking" fully...
You live, you learn!

Back