Oil Can+Sensor Warning light (1.6fsi)

richardbe

Hi All,
I’m after a bit of advice. The yellow Oil Can warning light has just come on, with the word ‘Sensor’ below.

B41C39A8-71A3-4945-BF02-0BD75A28FEB6.jpeg

The oil level sensor was replaced and an oil change done a few hundred miles ago. The car sits on the drive most of the time and there’s no sign of oil drips/leaks.

I’ve checked oil level but tbh the dipstick is absolutely useless,and even taking 4-5 readings I’m still none the wiser as the end is dark grey and moulded to look like it’s covered in a film of oil so it’s almost impossible to take a reading. Photo below is the reading.

CB428176-B4EF-4D63-8D4D-F5B10993483D.jpeg

Should I:
  1. Add a bit of oil (quarter litre) and see what happens?
  2. Have a look underneath to see if oil sensor is damaged/loose connection? (Is it accessible/visible?
  3. Something else?
We’re off on a long journey in the car over Easter so obviously I’d like to iron out any niggles/before then.
All advice appreciated

Last edited:
Do not just add oil. Too much oil is as bad as no oil.

Clean the dipstick end and make sure it is dry. With the car on level ground, fit the dipstick then remove it. Use a bright light and the oil will be wet on the dipstick and it should be possible to see the line between wet and dry.

The oil level should be within the slightly narrower range on the dipstick. If it is in the ribbed area that is ok but ideally at or just over the upper end of the ribbed area. If the level is up to the thicker upper bulge then it is over filled.

Was the new sensor an OEM one or just a cheap replacement one? Cheap sensors frequently cause problems.

You can also try cleaning the connector that plugs into the oil level sensor with brake fluid, it maybe dirt accumulation in conjunction with oil stopping sensor reading correctly.

VCDS might be useful here as well, from memory the measuring block for oil is accessible via the cluster and block 50 rings a bell for what is actually is being reported in mm. The caveat is that this is true for a 1.4 petrol, not sure if it’s the same for a 1.6.

The sensor is dual purpose so the warning could be the oil temperature side. Yes a VCDS scan would hopefully shed some light even from just the fault codes.

You can also try cleaning the connector that plugs into the oil level sensor with brake fluid, it maybe dirt accumulation in conjunction with oil stopping sensor reading correctly.
Thanks all. Is it easy to locate and access? I haven’t even jacked the A2 up and looked underneath since owning. I assume it’s a thing with wires attached somewhere near the sump plug?

Similar issue earlier this week, though my display was minus the 'sensor' word. Had it been included, I might have got to the bottom of it sooner. Am on my second A2 and I have never once had need to check the oil dipstick, both the TDi and this current FSI never dropped a drop. Thus I concur with the difficulty of reading the dipstick. I truly thought there was no oil as the dipstick seemed dry. When I got to the garage they told me there was zero leaks and they had drained 5 litres from the sump - this of course included the extra 2 litres I had topped up with earlier, thinking I was on the verge of seizing up - diagnosis: faulty sensor

Attachments

• Oil Sensor.JPG
    Oil Sensor.JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 25
Similar issue earlier this week, though my display was minus the 'sensor' word. Had it been included, I might have got to the bottom of it sooner. Am on my second A2 and I have never once had need to check the oil dipstick, both the TDi and this current FSI never dropped a drop. Thus I concur with the difficulty of reading the dipstick. I truly thought there was no oil as the dipstick seemed dry. When I got to the garage they told me there was zero leaks and they had drained 5 litres from the sump - this of course included the extra 2 litres I had topped up with earlier, thinking I was on the verge of seizing up - diagnosis: faulty sensor
Hello there,

Situations like this really endorses the requirement to refer to the owners manual:

IMG_8966.jpeg

Go to the rear of the booklet to check the index for warnings:

IMG_8967.jpeg

Jump to page 88:

IMG_8968.jpeg

Red oil can symbol with not text beneath it means oil pressure too low.

It’s worth checking the oil level and also the oil pressure sensor. A usual tell-tale that the oil pressure sensor has failed is it being covered in oil where oil has passed through it and the connector itself being coated in dirty oil.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Tom

Hello there,

Situations like this really endorses the requirement to refer to the owners manual:

View attachment 119624

Go to the rear of the booklet to check the index for warnings:

View attachment 119625

Jump to page 88:

View attachment 119626

Red oil can symbol with not text beneath it means oil pressure too low.

It’s worth checking the oil level and also the oil pressure sensor. A usual tell-tale that the oil pressure sensor has failed is it being covered in oil where oil has passed through it and the connector itself being coated in dirty oil.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Tom
Hi. Yes that is very helpful thanks.

MicrosoftTeams-image (13).jpg

I did not have the manual with me at the time I was out and of course made the (incorrect) assumption the light was referring to oil level.
I must have a different edition manual as the info relating to this is on pages 32-34. It seems that if the oil level is not low then the issue is low pressure. I am now quite worried, as my garage (usually very reliable) have diagnosed it as a sensor fault - if the level sensor and the pressure sensor are two different sensors and they have picked the wrong one as at fault and assuming they did not test the oil pressure or do the checks you suggested above then I could be in a more dire of a strait......replacement oil pump? I'll call them back tomorrow and ask. Thanks again

Hi. Yes that is very helpful thanks.

View attachment 119633

I did not have the manual with me at the time I was out and of course made the (incorrect) assumption the light was referring to oil level.
I must have a different edition manual as the info relating to this is on pages 32-34. It seems that if the oil level is not low then the issue is low pressure. I am now quite worried, as my garage (usually very reliable) have diagnosed it as a sensor fault - if the level sensor and the pressure sensor are two different sensors and they have picked the wrong one as at fault and assuming they did not test the oil pressure or do the checks you suggested above then I could be in a more dire of a strait......replacement oil pump? I'll call them back tomorrow and ask. Thanks again
Evening,

We could well have slightly different booklets as the one in my hand earlier was form a 2001 TDI. By the time the FSI was introduced then the booklet may have been revised. Hopefully someone else with other booklets can confirm as I’ve not had a petrol engines booklet here for some time now.

Either way the red oil can with no text beneath should mean the same.

Kind regards,

Tom

Evening,

We could well have slightly different booklets as the one in my hand earlier was form a 2001 TDI. By the time the FSI was introduced then the booklet may have been revised. Hopefully someone else with other booklets can confirm as I’ve not had a petrol engines booklet here for some time now.

Either way the red oil can with no text beneath should mean the same.

Kind regards,

Tom
Afternoon Tom. Garage sorted it today - turns out was a faulty (and leaking) pressure switch - they replaced with a Lucas part LUCSOB992 - Cheers 👍

Back